Replacing Stock Air Box with Round K&N Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southernrover

Reaction score
I've just read through several independent dyno tests with these K&N filters and In some cases the gains were in the 25 HP range. Although that 25 HP number was for a full intake tube replacement with the new filter on a 2010 Camaro. In a test with an 07 Tundra, the gains were small, but better than the margin of error for the machine. I'm betting this mod wouldn't give me much more than 5 or 8 HP, but that's reasonable for $50 bucks. Plus, I'm convinced the testing shows the MAF sensor will be fine.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 HP would not be felt at all in the ~6000 beast that is the LR3.

southernrover

Reaction score
Now that's a fair point Houm_WA, 8 HP isn't much of an increase from 300. I'd really like a bit more sound from the engine too though, it sounds a bit like a sedan at the moment.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some folks have cut pipes aft of the Cat-converters, or eliminated resonators...and Magnaflow made a Cat-back exhaust kit years ago (I'm not sure if it's still on the market) all of which improved the growl of the V8.

I always figured that once I destroy my exhaust on some rocks or something I'd go with the Magnaflow. Maybe my (off-road) driving improved too much too soon :) because my exhaust is still without a scratch.

djkronik57

Reaction score
I've done an exhaust mod for more sound. It's not the same as the post above, in that I just had the center resonator (the turtle looking thing in the middle) cut out and replaced with straight pipes. This makes the truck louder, but mainly only under throttle. It is a bit louder than I expected, but I love it. I'll try to see if I have a video clip, but you can find them on YouTube with the same center resonator mod.

Removing the rear mufflers had questionable results (some said it made little or no difference, others it got really loud if paired with the center resonator removal) and I've run without a center resonator on my other car and loved it, so I went the same route. The center resonator smooths out the engine pulses in exhaust, so you get more V8 pulsing sound without it, but not a lot of extra raspy loudness. Nice growl when you mash the gas and a burble in sport mode when you let up on the gas and coast.

As for the K&N, it DOES foul MAF sensors if you aren't absolutely meticulous about re-oiling. Most who run one on my other car (Volvo S60R) keep the paper filter to use while the K&N is drying. Installing it while the oil is still fresh, putting too much oil on, or not letting it sit for a while after oiling will definitely foul the MAF. Could be that on a turbo car, it sucks more of the oil in, but who knows. Not worth the minimal gains, risk to the MAF, and reduction in filtration in my opinion.

Depending on the design, you'll also be sucking in hot air from the engine compartment, which would likely negate any gains without some sort of baffling.

Last edited:

southernrover

Reaction score
Wow, now that's worth doing for sure! I'll have to check into that mod. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

Also, I appreciate the extra information about the K&N. Sounds like it would be more hassle than it's worth.

southernrover

Reaction score
Yup, just cut that catback right outta there. Sounds far better!

IMG_20161217_165351.jpg

southernrover

Reaction score
Strike while the iron is hot, and all that! It has quite a growler to it now, which is great off road in the woods. I enjoy it around town too, although it gets quite a bit louder from time to time :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM