Replacing the rear differential??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope they will call me back within the next week before my warranty expires (sigh)

delcoquito

Reaction score
I just my rear differential replaced under warranty at 36,800 miles. The noise it was making is a subtle metalic rubbing noise, but the best way to describe it would be the "airplane cockpit" comparison that someone else mentioned. It sounds EXACTLY the same!!!! :wink:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this noise/whine happening all the time? High speeds, low speeds? Both? Is it only upon acceleration or even when idling?

delcoquito

Reaction score
Houm, the noise was only audible at low speeds (say under 45 mph) when not pressing the gas and just "coasting" along. It was very, very low noise, and not noticeable with windows down as the wind muffled it.

jgk200

Reaction score
Just Found Out My 06 LR3 w/ 55000 miles needs the rear locking diff replaced.... Sounds Nothing like " Airplane Cockpit Noise" ( I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to make that statement)...... Mine sounds like a tire/ wheel out of balanced.... Either way not impressed these diff''s are failing prematurely & even more I can't even get an eta on when the part will be available for me.... This is not my first dance with this brand but, will test the waters when the time comes....:bawling:

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine too - 05 HSE 55K

Mine is also making that airplane cabin noise and its loud now..... has been since 45K and I flagged it with the LR dealer last year. I wonder if I should go back and try to get them to replace even tho its out of warranty.

samterri

Reaction score
As my wife always says, "It never hurts to ask." Always works for her. Never works for me. So, you have a 50/50 chance.;)

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a rebuilt option out there? if not, someone should...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have rebuild kits available, PM me or skype, etc. The pricing is significantly better than buying a used one, that is commonly advertised on parts web sites. Check my Gallery here for pictures... http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=11463 Dealer, Wholesale inquiries welcomed.

Land Rover does not sell parts for these diffs. This also will work on RRS.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM