Replacing the rear differential??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine replaced a long time ago...at about 12,000 miles. However I was told back then that it was more related to it being a locking diff and something wrong with a part being machined out of tolerance, which caused a miscommunication between the computer and the transmission...or something like that. I wonder if the one I got it replaced with will have this "new" problem...?

goinsurfin

Reaction score
The dealer was very vague about why the diff had to be replaced. It did eliminate the jerking when taking off in either 1st or 2nd gear. But now I notice clicking sounds when I come to a complete stop and shift into park. Is there any relation here? The clicking started soon after the rear diff was replaced..

Bremerbuttjer

Reaction score
Just say your note on the rear diff. problem. I have an 05 LR3 HSE with 83,000 miles and just learned today that it has to be replaced - crazy and OUCH! Very expensive $4K fix. Do you have any more information about Landrover being aware of this problem?

Hi Soccermom,
unfortunately I am not aware of any LR recall or bulletin issue about this problem. All I can say is that my dealer contacted the LRNA Rep for the region (I am in Houston) and that the decision was made to replace as apparently a known flaw in the 05 LR3 HSE. I was told that it could take a while as RearDiffs were on back order and brought in from the UK. My vehicle was at the Dealership for 3 weeks but they got it done in the end. I wish I could be of more assistance cause 4 grand is indeed a proud tag for that repair, sorry.

C

Chester

That is why you should always buy an extended warranty if you own a Land Rover. The diff. would definatly have been covered

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why you should always buy an extended warranty if you own a Land Rover. The diff. would definatly have been covered

For the price of the extended warranty you can pay for the diff and have cash leftover. Almost $5k for a 100k warranty is a bit absurd! ( I have CPO to 75k, and didn't see the sense is paying the price for 100k extension. )

C

Chester

Extended warranty

For the price of the extended warranty you can pay for the diff and have cash leftover. Almost $5k for a 100k warranty is a bit absurd! ( I have CPO to 75k, and didn't see the sense is paying the price for 100k extension. )

I understand your point. However just think about this... $1k Suspension compressor. $4k front differential. $7K Transmission. These are big ticket items without the $500 door latches, window regulators, heater blend actuators, ride height sensors, etc etc which my shop replaces all the time.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand your point. However just think about this... $1k Suspension compressor. $4k front differential. $7K Transmission. These are big ticket items without the $500 door latches, window regulators, heater blend actuators, ride height sensors, etc etc which my shop replaces all the time.

I can source all those parts for much cheaper than my dealer prices them, direct from England. ;-). I'd just pay the labor cost at the dealership. But I see your point for someone who doesn't want to pay the cover cost. By the time I reach 75k I'll have another Rover in the driveway most likely anyways though.

Last edited:

phurley

Reaction score
As much as I love the LR3, I think it will be an overly-expensive vehicle to own out of warranty. If anyone plans on keeping their purchased-new LR3 past the 4yr/50k miles manufacturer warranty, the Ford ESP extended warranty is a must-have (plan ahead and get one before 3yr/36k on your vehicle, though...)

And it's definitely cheaper to own the extended warranty (currently sub-$2k for 6yr/100k) than to trade-in and buy new for the next 50k miles (assuming similar vehicle depreciations).

SoccerMom, I am bummed for you that you're out-of-pocket for the rear diff repair costs - that sucks. I am like that too - I kept a Volvo V70 R way past when I should have...

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so where would one pick up that FORD ESP extended warranty and what are people paying?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do the Ford ESP as well. About $1900 for bumper to bumper coverage. Haven't used it yet. The contract they send is about as good as they come. In researching this, I never was quoted $5k for the warranty. Low 4's was the highest. (stupid high)

You can go to the Ford ESP website and get the info you need. I think this is it: https://www.genuineservice.com/esp/welcome.do

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM