Resetting Brake Pad Light?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

er1c

Reaction score
*Shakes head.* Oh the joys of new-age-Americans!

srownin

Reaction score
Guys,

Pulled the wheel and replaced the front sensor. Seemed easy enough. But the light is still on... I have gotten conflicting info, some saying the dealer (or someone with the appropriate computer) needs to reset. Others saying it will reset automatically.

Either way, I went to a local garage who was willing to do it for $20 - but the light wouldn't reset.

Two thoughts...

1. Possibly I need to replace to rear too.
2. Could I have not put it in all the way? Seemed to just pop into the space in the caliper, but seemed really easy to move in and out. Not sure if I had to push harder and get a click or something.

Any thoughts? Any way to test the replacement?

SR

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Here's how I solved this problem once and for all a few weeks ago...

There is one sensor for the front, and one for the rear (front driver, rear passenger on US market cars, I believe). You can replace the sensors, as many folks have mentioned, and that should get rid of the light. However, you will need to replace these sensors every time you change pads if you let the light come on (not a huge deal, but one more thing to do). I also ran into problems with mine popping out when running through water at a decent rate of speed, and the light coming on unnecessarily, so I eliminated them. All you need to do is cut off the "sensor" at the end of the wire, and short the two remaining ends together. Done. No more warning light, ever. I know a couple of other guys who have done this as well, with no ill effect so far. Just pay attention to your brake pads, since you will no longer be warned when they are getting low.

Paul

srownin

Reaction score
Hey,

I solved my own problem. Pulled the wheel again and checked the sensor at the caliper end - looked fine. So I pulled the clip back off and looked inside... viola. One of the two pins bent to the side and didn't make the connection. I checked the clip on the old sensor to make sure I wasn't nuts. Straightened out the pin with a pair of needle-nose pliers and reconnected. Light went off by itself.

Now I have to worry about the check-engine light that came on while my wifehad the car at the local shop asking to reset the light. They removed the lid on the 2nd battery box and must have knocked a vacuum hose or something. Typical misfire code - reclipped a loose hose that the knocked off and it seems to have gone away... for now.

SR

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut