Roof Access - What is your preference

How do you climb?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Myton

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just installed a Front Runner on my LR4 and am loving it. I was going to buy their ladder at the same time but it was out of stock when I placed the order. now I'm wondering if the tailgate ladder is really the best option.

Something like this should actually have more utility, at the cost of having to stow it behind a seat:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0719C5FST

I could install some holders at any position on the rack which would also give more flexibility on how I configure the storage up there:
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-telescopic-ladder-brackets.html

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the Front Runner ladder. Easy to install and haven't had any issues.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have to climb up onto your expedition racks?
For my needs, what I can't reaching by standing on the rear tire, I can reach by standing on the tailgate (with the glass closed). I know we all use them for different things, though, and if you are hauling crates up there it may be a different story for you...

I will admit some issues with the front of the rack, though. On occasion I have to stand on the driver's seat to reach something. I don't like doing that.

Ben Myton

Reaction score
I don't think I'll have many times when I need to be up there, but as an example this weekend I wanted to get some straps placed in the center line above the sunroof. It was an awkward climb on the driver's seat operation that would have been easier if I'd just climbed up and done everything from above.

I have also ordered a couple bike fork mounts which I will be attaching to the rails and for those I will need to be on top.

This question has been solved by my loving wife who said "get the FR ladder, the truck looks better with it on there". :D

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used mine a few times for hauling boxes, but not for overlanding. I'm actually selling my Disco and leaving it installed for buyer.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agree on the ladder. its my next purchase.
I am on the roof all the time for packing, stacking surfboards, etc.
Funny now my eldest daughter has figured out how to climb on the roof (without the ladder) so I find her up there sometimes just playing.

IMG_9502.JPG

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I'm a pretty short guy standing at 5'3", and with the rig lifted 2.5" it's a reach for me to get things. I have the FR ladder in the back, but I feel like I'm missing a step between the bumper and the lowest step of the ladder. Other than that I get up there just fine and I like that the FR ladder has a top plate that I can step on. I get up there quite often since my arms don't quite reach the center.

I also use a Gorilla slim-fold work platform to get stuff up there and it doubles up as a bench for overlanding/camping. The only minor issue is about 2" from fitting behind the second row seats. So it sits on top and across the plastic side panels in the back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72