Solar Trickle Charger? Also what is that wire.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ladric

Reaction score
Its winter here in the North again and last year the 2010 LR4 had a hard time starting as last year I only drove it a few times each week and only a few miles. This year, I am sheltering in place and don't get much time in the truck. So its warning me again that the battery needs to be charged.
I was looking at a solar battery charger (good reviews here on Amazon).
I don't know if even a new battery would do any better with the truck just sitting. It is parked on the street so not a good place to string a power cord.
When checking on the battery, I see there is a connection that is not connected to anything? Any idea what that could be?

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

Ladric

Reaction score

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You posted the same question in a different thread, I'll repeat my response here too...

The $25 Amazon unit you linked to is really designed for interior use, although the seller and some buyers claim it works ok mounted externally. One reviewer mentioned sealing up the housing with silicone caulk, which sounds like a good idea. I'd get a larger one (higher wattage), and keep in mind these don't charge much on cloudy days.

While these may not be in your budget, PulseTech has units designed for external mounting, and are commercial / military grade. As a bonus they also desulfate the battery:

https://www.pulsetech.net/store/sol...-solar-chargers.html?product_list_order=price

Note the Amazon unit appears to have a 1-year warranty, PulseTech has a 10-year warranty.

And nothing is going to work covered in snow or on cloudy days. Not sure why the Amazon would work where the VSS wouldn't...

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72