Rotor wear advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These vehicles are highly engineered, and command a high price to own one. Why does everyone want to be a cheapskate and pinch pennies on maintenance and wear items?
Plus eleventybillion. ^^^

Don't cheap out on safety items. Top-quality rotors (and pads) are far cheaper than bent sheet metal and increased insurance premiums.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These vehicles are highly engineered, and command a high price to own one. Why does everyone want to be a cheapskate and pinch pennies on maintenance and wear items?

There have been some well-informed opinions and direct experiences shared on this thread on both sides of the "turn or replace" rotor question. I haven't detected a strong vibe that any of them were based purely on cost savings over safety. The original question was technical (whether or not new pads on seasoned rotors would be noisy).

That said, a spicy rant every now and then is good for the soul, amiright? Kind of like a primal scream for those who remember that fad.

Anyway, it's all good. Yesterday I stopped by another trusted indy shop I use (@toddjb122 knows who I'm talking about) and had him take a look at my rear pads. He said I had a few thousand miles of life yet to go on them. He also said that he doesn't and will not turn rotors at his shop. He sent me on my way and when it's time I'll have him put on new rotors and pads.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer your original LoL, yes I have scuffed up the rotors with emery cloth and installed new pads with zero issues. It seems people now days read to much and worry them selves sick instead of just doing it.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been some well-informed opinions and direct experiences shared on this thread on both sides of the "turn or replace" rotor question. ... He also said that he doesn't and will not turn rotors at his shop. He sent me on my way and when it's time I'll have him put on new rotors and pads.
I didn't comment on this previously, but in general, if a rotor requires machining... it's usually better to replace it. Replacement is often more cost-effective as well, especially if the rotor will be nearing the min thickness spec after machining.

It's a rare case where turning/machining a rotor would be preferred. And it's almost never needed when replacing pads, despite what the shop may claim.

o_O

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake squeal, you bet I could be heard over a block away, yes that loud after replacing pads with "organic dust free pads". Only times silent after a 80+ mph stop warming up the rotors and pads, they stayed silent then squealed again once cooled down like in town stop and go driving. Wifey not pleased and parked the LR being too embarrassed to drive it. Only things free they being sample pads plus my free labor installing them. Rotors were still like new with smooth surfaces, barely a non worn lip. Premium Wagner or Raybestos brand pads have been my choice being silent, easy on rotors that's number one with low dust that's number two reason plus long lasting no fade. Talking solid non vented no dimples or slotted rotors all four corners. .....~~=o&o>.....

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
For peace of mind i would advice to install new pads and rotors at the same time. Order maxbrakes, they're cheap and good, been using them for about 4yrs. I currently have them on my LR with 0 issues.

https://maxbrakes.com/
you have to call and order, it takes about 2 weeks.
I gave maxbrakes a call as the LR4 is not listed on there website. Even there best slotted rotors are cheaper than OE rotors from British Atlantic. Which version did you buy for your LR? Thanks

Fugi Snow

Reaction score
No JLR dealer will turn rotors any more. I have been to 5. My LR4 is prone to warp rotors, and I have heard the same from other owners. Especially if one tows a lot.

I turned the original rotors 3 times, and then replaced with EBC premium heavy duty drilled and slotted rotors. I took them to Orilieys and had turned before installing. (Its hard to believe, I kniw, but many rotirs are stored vertically for years befire sold, and are slightly warpped, brand new. Enough to feel in steering).

The rotirs, pads, hardwear and pad sensors, were all total less than $500, all 4 corners. About 3 hours of work to change out. I now have 30,000 miles on them, and still smooth as silk, and yow 3 to 4000 lbs regularly.
Where did you get your EBC premium heavy duty drilled and slotted rotors? Do the slotted version feel any different than the non slotted? Thanks

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gave maxbrakes a call as the LR4 is not listed on there website. Even there best slotted rotors are cheaper than OE rotors from British Atlantic. Which version did you buy for your LR? Thanks

Why are some people so cheap? ;) Never heard of that place but I'd want to know the weight. When something is too good to be true, it's often not good or not true ;)

I got my EBC through Rovers North. You want a the most mass you can get for heat dissipation. My guess is the super cheap ones are **** metal or too light.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my EBC through Rovers North.

I'd like to give my brake business to Rovers North since they were nice enough to treat me to a tour of their Vermont HQ when I was there a month ago. I don't see any EBC offering for either LR3 or LR4 on their site, at least not conspicuously labeled that way. Any guidance appreciated. Didn't you also say you went with drilled and slotted last time? I'm going to need a rear brake job in early April.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copy / paste below from this thread back in December, plus a link to OE rotors from Suburban, one of multiple online dealers you can buy from at a healthy discount:

I haven't seriously researched discs yet but I'd lean heavily towards OE/dealer rotors unless the price is insane - may be $163 front, $115 rear, MSRP? Get then cryo treated if you are having troubles with warping from severe duty (towing, etc). I don't like Chinese rotors and AFAIK, most anything from AutoZone, Carcraft, Centric, and PowerStop will all be from PRC [and, MaxBrakes too]. From a quick look of brands available, Zimmerman would be high on my list to try out.

Front LR4 = SDB000624 (free shipping at Importec):
https://importecautoparts.com/parts/part_number/SDB000624

Rear LR4 = SDB000646 (free shipping at Importec):
https://importecautoparts.com/parts/part_number/SDB000646

Front OE/dealer from Suburban Auto, $117 + S&H:
https://www.suburbanautoparts.com/oem-parts/land-rover-rotor-sdb000624

Rear OE/dealer from Suburban Auto, $83 + S&H:
https://www.suburbanautoparts.com/oem-parts/land-rover-rotor-sdb000646

For reference, Atlantic British is $140 for OE front, $100 OE rear, plus shipping.
https://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?keywords=sdb000624
https://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?keywords=sdb000646

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72