Rough Idel for first 30-40 seconds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

JFrith

Hi, I am a new member with a 1994 P38a 4.6 HSE. And yes range rover did make them in 1994, dispite what all the paper work says at the dealers.

This car has been an absolute nightmare since we go it over a year ago, but £3500 later we have fixed all but the last two problems.

Prob 1.) On cold or hot starting she runs really rough and chucks loads of petrol/gasoline out of the tail pipe in the form of black smoke. This is only for the first 30- 40 seconds or so, then she clears her throat and off we go. I have replaced the following, engine ECU, water temp sensor, hego/oxygen sensors, MAF sensor, Throutle position sensor. All codes have been reset.
The car has a sports exhaust, K&N air filter, RPI Tornado chip, but is overwise standard. It had the problem before fitting the chip.
Anyone got any ideas????

Prob2.) Headlights staying on whilst driving, I think this is the BECM which may well be on the blink. I have changed the fuse box for a new one, but since the lighting is controlled by the BECM there is not a lot else to play with.
Any suggestions???

Also could the BECM be affecting/causing Prob1 ???

Hope some one can help, as I have run out of ideas... Cheers Jeremy

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
When is the last time you cleaned the injectors of the butterfly after the air filter?

when you say the headlights stay on, do you mean from the time the engine has started until you shut it off, or just while in gear?

Could be someone added daytime running lights.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99