RR Sport - Suspension Fault Normal Height Only

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apples123

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post here. I am trying to diagnose an issue myself. I am having conflicting opinions from service advisors at my local Land Rover dealer ranging from solutions at $500 to $6000. None of them are sure and I frankly do not trust them much.

Some background on the car: 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE. I have relatively low mileage at 52,000 miles on the car.

The Suspension Fault Normal Height Only warning came on about 5 months ago after a service at the local dealer. The light would come on after about a minute of turning the vehicle on. I am able to raise and lower the vehicle without any issues before turning it on. My preliminary diagnosis is that the drier component is failing.

Twice, following a short road trip, the suspensions worked properly and the warning light did not come on for a few days. I was thinking that the drier issue (where a valve is stuck, letting out the air) could be the problem.

It would really help me out a lot if someone could send me some instructions or show me how to diagnose the issue better myself.

I also want to know if there are any consequences driving around with the suspension fault. I've been at it for five months now and don't really feel a difference driving.

The dealer also brought up some addition issues aside from the suspension fault. They are suggesting that I also replace my Left and Right Tie Rod for $1000 and Replace control arms for $2000. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

PVang

Reaction score
I have a 07 RRS SC with 63K miles and it is at the shop right now for Suspension fault and Limp mode not once but twice. Last year it came on and off for about half a year but when it comes on, I just simply turn the engine off and it goes away. Finally when it went into limp mode, that's when I said its time to bring her in. This was due to a bad pump and it was replaced for around $850 includes labor. If you google RR suspension fault, you will notice its common that many of us owners experienced in bad suspension pumps.

6 months later the suspension fault came back on and goes away after shutting it off and on (of course I just ignore it). Just the other day towing my boat it went into limp mode and its at the shop. Diagnostic shows valve assembly going bad. Getting it done for $432 includes labor today as well as a bad rear differential motor.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I do tow my boat a lot too.

apples123

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with the car going into limp mode (what is that? What components did they have you replace?). My car raises and lowers after I turn the car off. I am also able to raise and lower the car before the warning light comes on. This is what makes me think that the main components of the suspension is working properly. It may just be something tripping the sensors?

PVang

Reaction score
For the car raising up and down when you shut it off is pretty standard. I had my truck like pretty brand new, and it does that all the time. Its just re-adjusting back to its reference plane due to your weight. Limp mode is when your engine reduce performance and not allowing you to get on the gas paddle. My service person told me that if the suspension lower and not being able to come up during limp mode. That's when I'll have a serious problem and major component failure within the suspension. But this haven't happen so I was pretty lucky it was just in limp mode.

The first time this happened, they replaced the suspension air pump at 55K miles. The new pump is a bit louder then the before as you can hear it wining when you get into the truck and start her up.

Today, they are replacing the valve assembly for the air suspension. I couldn't drive on the high for more then 5 miles and the suspension fault will come on. And yes, during these times when I restart the engine and the fault goes away, I can still raise and lower the car with no problem.

It seems like you dealership is not too helpful. I wouldn't do your tie rods or control arms if its not going bad, unless you go off-roading with the truck a lot.

PVang

Reaction score
I just got my truck back and I'll share you want they exactly did.

I don't know how to post pictures yet but here it is.

Parts: $178.69 Labor: 219.42 Total Line A: $398.11

63154 yellow suspension lamp 020202 609002 605038 605011 used sdd to find fault c1130 fault for air suspension leak see right front air spring low after disconnecting battery and sitting overnight, re-pressurized and soaped front valve block see small leak from valve block. replaced vale and road tested no further problems

I would add the Differential but this is another issue besides the suspension.

I hope this helps.

apples123

Reaction score
Thanks, PVang, this is really helpful. I think I may need to find some alternative to figure out exactly what's wrong. My place won't do a diagnostic unless i commit to repairs. It's about a $200 deposit have diagnostics run on my car. That's not too much but I just don't trust this service department. Did your dealer run diagnostics on your car? If yes, were the diagnostics able to pinpoint the issues?

PVang

Reaction score
Yes, the initial diagnostic pinpointed the issue and they also include this in as part of the labor. I took the car out for a far drive and it seems to run well with no suspension light. This weekend will be testing it with the boat to see if anything else comes up.

gpass

Reaction score
Raises and Lower Air suspension

I have question: does it lower automatically when you turn engine off?

Thank you.

I haven't had any issues with the car going into limp mode (what is that? What components did they have you replace?). My car raises and lowers after I turn the car off. I am also able to raise and lower the car before the warning light comes on. This is what makes me think that the main components of the suspension is working properly. It may just be something tripping the sensors?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA