Ryders Defender Page

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Red Ryder

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I've not owned my Defender that long but have put in an effort to get it looking the part.

I've also started a web-page featuring Defenders here:

http://www.squidoo.com/land-roverdefender

Please if you can spare the time take a quick look and let me know what you think of it.

About my landrover:

Bought this last year and it was in a bit of a rough and ready condition. The RAC inspected it and the engines a good-un.

It's got the 300 TDI engine in it (despite being a 2001 model) so I know it's not got the potential of being a nightmare to work on compared to the newer Td5.

The bodywork was a bit rusty on the steel sections and needed some mostly cosmetic work:

P1050214.jpg

Nice views, you feel like master and commander up in the cab

P1050233.jpg

Bit 'o damage here:

P1050221.jpg

The Red Ryder

Reaction score
The work continues...

Although some people might call me crazy I use my Defender as a daily driver (it's either that or the Nissan Skyline!) as it's pretty practical in its own way.

Anyway I've got time to show a bit of the project history so far:

As you can see the back and front bumpers are pretty rusty looking and faded. The rust isn't deep though and is mostly surface stuff.

P1050215.jpg

P1050220.jpg

So with a grinder and a smooth disc I set about grinding down the worst rust bits and sanding down the rest.

P1050235.jpg

This done I used a few coats of rust eater. Once this had dried I started applying black hammerite paint. This stuff is quite expensive but it is specifically designed for metal application and doesn't need any undercoats. You just slap dash it on. You know the saying 'If you can p&ss, you can paint' :D Only kidding there painter-folk :)

P1050249.jpg

The Red Ryder

Reaction score
The Next Step

The landrovers interior was a mess from its previous owners.
It was covered in this fine cement dust that would not sweep out nor wipe out easily.
In the end I soaked up as much as I could and bought some green exterior wood paint and gave it the real slap-dash treatment :)

It's green green green inside the rear cargo area now.
From this dusty place:

P1050228.jpg

To this:

P1050463.jpg

No longer is dust ever present and getting on clothes and kit etc. With the gloss finish on now any muck or debris just wipes off :)

The Red Ryder

Reaction score
The Next Step

It was covered in this fine cement dust that would not sweep out nor wipe out easily.
In the end I soaked up as much as I could and bought some green exterior wood paint and gave it the real slap-dash treatment :)

From this dusty place:

P1050228.jpg

To this:

P1050463.jpg

No longer is dust ever present and getting on clothes and kit etc. With the gloss finish on now any muck or debris just wipes off :)

The Red Ryder

Reaction score
The Next Step

From this dusty place:

P1050228.jpg

To this:

P1050463.jpg

The Red Ryder

Reaction score

P1050463.jpg

The Red Ryder

Reaction score
While on the move to work I had a blowout. I steered safety over to the hard-shoulder and tried self-recovery.

Out came the 2 tonne jack I’d bought from Halfords but no dice. It wasn’t big enough and kept slipping off the lifting point. It’d be too dangerous to continue with that.

I called out recovery and learned my lesson, next time I’d have to get a bigger jack.
My tyres were pretty worn too and I vowed to get a full set of new tyres.
So once at the nearest tyre place I got myself some all-singing, all-dancing ‘Grabber’ All terrain tyres.
Although it wasn’t the tyre wear that caused the blowout I learned that it was from running over a roofing bolt. These, I’m told by the mechy, are the leading cause of blowouts on the motorways.

Here’s one of the new tyres.

P1050224.jpg

The spare tyre mounted on the bonnet is the real deal, a proper one and not a space saver either.

Now a bit of a ****** with Defenders is that they are prone to leakage. Mine was no exception. On the inside of the passenger door and the drivers side along with the cargo door it leaked. Drip, drip everytime it rained hard.

If you left the vent flaps open and it rained there’d be leaks from their too but closing them prevented that.
It was time to fix the leaks.
The drivers side leak I fixed by treating the metalwork where the rubber weather seal joined with some rust eater and touch-up paint.
The roof was where the real work was needed though and I needed something to match the white roof.

P1050230.jpg

My local mechy Tom advised me that the best stuff was the window sealant used by double glazing firms. Car accessory places also supplied it.
After a few sagas I sourced some of the stuff – Tiger Seal!

P1050468.jpg

I was warned not to tarry when applying it. Once it the stuff dries, it grips like a tiger and there’s no going back.

Well I attached the grease gun frame and it didn’t work. Not good as it means I’ve no way of applying the sealent to the roof seam 
In the end I just cut the neck off and stuck a big ole thin rod in and pulled it out. Then with some rubber gloves on I just finger applied it into the groove.
Took a while let me tell you but after about an hour I’d just managed to get both sides plus the cross groove done when the stuff set hard!
No leaks from the roof now, just a little bit from the door seal near the ground. But that’s nothing really.

TS888

Reaction score
Looks like you're going through some of the same fun as I am.

My 110...

Not sure I understand your comment about the 300TDi being a "nightmare" to work on? It's about as simple as engines get.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM