Same compressor in Range Rover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over a month ago I began experiencing suspension faults, coupled with loud noises from the compressor. Shortly after, the compressor died, and I purchased a used one on fleabay for something like $65. The compressor never arrived and it took a lot of initiative on my part to get the seller to explain what happened. That ordeal took over two weeks to resolve. I purchased another compressor on fleabay for $300, this one being new but no packaging. The pictures clearly indicated that it was model number RQG500090, the latest spec for the LR3. Last week the compressor arrived, but the model number was different from what was pictured, the one I received being RQG500041. I looked online to see if the compressor was indeed made for an NAS LR3, but couldn't find any info. The only other external difference was that the two wiring harnesses (power and control) are separate and not bundled together like they are on the usual LR3 compressor.

I installed the compressor on Saturday and it fit perfectly, other than the power connector being a little on the short side; it wasn't stretched, but it also wasn't long enough to sit in the clip that attaches the harness to the frame. I was able to get the vehicle off the bumpstops and even into off-road height, but I continued to get "suspension fault - normal height only". When going into off-road height, I would get a "suspension raising slowly" message. Last night I put some soapy water on the actual compressor air connectors to see if there was a slow leak (read about this trick on the disco3 site). Sure enough there was a hairline crack in the dryer right between where the red and blue air hoses connect.

This morning I did some more searching on the internet and it looks like my part is actually for a Range Rover. I called my local dealer's parts department to verify this and indeed it is a Range Rover compressor (not RR Sport) and is not intended for the LR3. I immediately contacted the fleabay seller and he said the part is identical to the LR3 compressor other than the power harness length, but I told him I wanted to return the item and get a refund, which he agreed to.

I'm not sure if the hairline crack was already there, happened because of shipping damage, or was a result of some pressure difference between an LR3 and a Range Rover. Is it possible that the Range Rover compressor is indeed compatible with the LR3? It would probably be easier to get this part in a pinch since there are more Range Rovers on the road than LR3s, but I'm not sure if it would be cheaper.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was the RR compressor packaged up? Did it look like shipping was hell on it?

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was bubble wrapped fairly well and put in a simple beat up cardboard box. Hard to say if shipping was hell on it, but I have a friend who used to work at UPS and he said all the packages got tossed about, even the ones marked fragile :frown:

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Willing to bet the fault was caused by the cracked dryer, as mine had the same issue.

Would it be possible to compare them side by side, like at the dealer? Can't imagine they'd differ much.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the old LR3 compressor, model RQG500060. I'll try to take pictures tonight and post them.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the two compressors. I was running late for work this morning when I took the pictures, so the quality is rather poor.

On the left is my dead LR3 compressor (RQG500060) and on the right is the Range Rover compressor (RQG500041).
0.jpg

They both have wiring for power and control, but the LR3 (left) has them bundled into one harness, while the RR one has them separated. Note how the LR3 power cable is slightly longer than the one for the RR (right).
1.jpg

Again, the LR3 is on the left and the RR is on the right.
4.jpg

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A close up of the RR part number.
5.jpg

A close up of the LR3 part number.
6.jpg

Here is the hairline crack on the RR compressor that is probably causing the suspension fault. The crack is right between the two connectors.
3.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...rather frightening to think that a little crack like that can F up the whole thing! I wonder how such a crack got there????

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99