Shopping for a Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Kelly

Reaction score
Hello all, the time has come to retire my trusty (rusty) Land Cruiser. Its been a great truck for the past 20 yrs and 200k, its just time for something new. The only vehicle I can think of to replace it is the range rover L322. Ive done some research on them and I've found very mixed reviews on reliability. Some say run away as fast as possible while others claim they are good as long as they are properly maintained. My family had a 2007 LR3 until 2016 when the transmission went out, but other than that it was pretty reliable. I found a 2011 hse for $16,000. It has 100,000 miles. No cosmetic defects, carfax shows lots of land rover service records and to my eyes it has new lower control arms, breaks, and and front air struts. I was blown away at how well it drove, very similar to my mothers 2016 Range Rover. On Monday I have a PPI set up at the local LR dealer and if that goes well I think I'll pull the trigger. Im most concerned with the timing chain issues these 5.O motors have. On the cold startup the motor clattered for about 3 seconds than quieted down. Started it up warm after the test drive and no sound at all. Is the timing chain issue a constant sound that would not quiet down, or does it only present itself on cold starts? With new front air struts and control arms, no obvious leaks, no strange noises (other than a clatter on cold starts) and it appears to be well maintained, how long can I expect it to last before i'm dumping money into it and should I be concerned with the clatter on cold starts.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend mentioning it to the service tech doing the PPI. Better safe then sorry when it comes to timing chain issues. That is about a $7k fix.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72