Should I Go For It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdx

Reaction score
I am SERIOUSLY thinking of buying a new LR4. The only issue is, I live 3 hours from the nearest Land Rover Dealership. GIven past reliability issues and things, would this be a major hurdle for me to consider? Thanks in advance.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had similar misgivings this summer when I was shopping. I was coming from a GMC lemon already, so I figured if I'm going to drive a lemon, let it at least be a nice lemon. I'm 5 months in (about 7k miles), and the truck has been fantastic and 100% reliable so far... no regrets here, even when I have to fill it up.

You may want to see what the dealer's loaner policy is, in case you need to drive there and take back a loaner. My dealer loans me a Land Rover for service (typically an LR2), and they require that I return it within 24 hours after they notify me that the car is ready. Unless you have any warranty issues, the first service is not required until 1 year or 15k miles, so 'theoretically' your trips to the dealer should be pretty infrequent.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That depends. If there is a Toyota (or similar) dealer down the street, get a Land Cruiser. You didn't tell us if there are any viable options that are much closer. Even if your car is a gem, you will have to take it to the dealer occasionally - or more.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
I am SERIOUSLY thinking of buying a new LR4. The only issue is, I live 3 hours from the nearest Land Rover Dealership. GIven past reliability issues and things, would this be a major hurdle for me to consider? Thanks in advance.

I am less than 20 minutes from a LR dealership and I still have reservations about buying an LR4, mostly because of reliability concerns. I have two small kids, and hence two child seats, and I don't want to have to be moving those seats back-and-forth between the LR4 and a loaner vehicle everytime I have to take it in for one problem or another (brakes, warped roters, steering wheel vibration, etc., etc.).

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the second LR4 I own and have not had any issues. Drove my 2010 HSE 21k miles with no issues. Traded it in a few months ago and have about 4k on this one with no issues. That being said, if the LR dealer was 3 hours away I would not have gotten the LR4 or any other vehicle whose dealer is not within 30 miles of where I live.

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got our LR4 in May, and it's never been back to the dealer since.

That said, I agree with baobay...I wouldn't buy any new vehicle where the dealer was 3 hours away. Any make can have issues, I don't care what their reputation is. (The Lexus GX I had before this being a perfect example) To me, a 6 hour round trip would be an absolute deal breaker.

My dealer is almost an hour from me, but that's been the case with every car I've owned since I've lived in this house. The only dealers in town don't sell anything I'm interested in.

aesopian

Reaction score
I have 30,000 miles on my LR4. The Land Rover dealership that I choose to work with is 50 miles away. I have two closer, but was put off by their sales staff and have never gone back. I have only had one recall and that was for a computer update which took roughly 30 minutes to complete.

I've had no issues with the truck mechanically and I take the beast off road. I think she's happier this way.

The dealership will bring me a loaner and pickup up my truck at no cost when I have scheduled maintenance or I've requested work on the truck if I can not get to them for what ever reason.

I enjoy the conversations I have with the people in the dealership. Only dealership that I've ever known that the owner is there and associates with his clients.

Should you go for it? I'm glad I went for it.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a LR dealer 100 miles away and another one 160 miles away. I bought from the further one because of their loaner policy- for $100 they will pick it up, drop off a loaner and bring it back when done.

I'm sure most people looking to buy a new $60 - $70K vehicle would rather shell out $100 than spend 4 - 8 hours of their time getting their vehicle serviced, repaired, etc...

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine for 8 months now with 5200 miles. Zero problems (except the first day after delivery). 3 dealerships in the area(the closest 30 min away, the farthest 2 hours).

That said, I would not own any luxury car unless I've had a dealer within an hour at the most.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM