Slop in Steering. Steering Rack Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 LR4 has 80,000 miles. I haven't replaced the front control arms yet (ugh), but noticing a few things on the highway.

1. When I start driving on the high (with a "cold" car), I get a little bit of vibration, which disappears after a few minutes. Slight, but noticeable.
2. On the highway, I can move the wheel left and right back and forth a degree or two before I effect the cars path.
3. On windy days, I get blown left and right a fair amount.

At this point I know I need to go get my front LCA's replaced. The question is, should I consider doing the steering rack at the same time to tighten everything up? Is this actually a wear item, or am I just asking to spend more money?

Has anyone DIY'ed the steering rack? the workshop manual doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking about DIY'ing the steering rack, putting some new tie rods in, then bringing the truck to a shop to have them do the LCA's, because its a PITA. Or maybe do the LCA's and tie rods first, then do the steering rack after?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why immediately jump to steering rack? Expensive and difficult. Start simple and cheap and work backwards up the cost tree.

1) What tires and pressures are you running? Strange wear happening or normal?
2) alignment. What are the alignment specs?
3) alignment should identify any worn steering items. Sart with tie rods (cheap and easy). Then get alignment.
4) Front sway bar?
5) LCAS

If it still isn't working for you then start to look at steering rack but personally if it is not leaking or making noise or acting weird I would leave it TFA.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 110K miles my steering rack was leaking and the steering felt a little sloppy. When I picked it up with the new steering rack it handled like it was on rails. These suspension parts wear so slowly that when you finally replace them you notice the difference.

But as noted above, the new steering rack was rather expensive and beyond my DIY skills. Replace the LCAs first and see if solves the issue.

Last edited:

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 110K miles my steering rack was leaking and the steering felt a little sloppy. When I picked it up with the new steering rack it handled like it was on rails. These suspension parts wear so slowly that when you finally replace them you notice the difference.

But as noted above, the new steering rack was rather expensive and beyond my DIY skills. Replace the LCAs first and see if solves the issue.

Where is your preferred shop around Boston?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99