Spare Wheel Protection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I went and looked at the BAS unit for wheel protection. It is an interesting concept but I have a few questions about it if anyone has used one.

First, I'm assuming that it collects debris from the top? I would guess that most of use don't use our spare all that often, and when we do have to get them down from there they are already covered in filth. It seems to me that this would further collect dirt, mud, rocks and such and make it even worse.

Second, I wonder why they covered the entire under neath of the wheel? IF they would have covered 3/4 of it or just put some small holes down there to let things out, it would still deter any would be thiefs.

Any thoughts?

Rob

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the big discount is to the club - which is in the UK. Pete of B.A.S. can do the discount to the club by saving on multiple shipping and paperwork, sending them all directly to one individual. I'm not sure what the cost difference would be for over here in the US. But it does look like a great product.

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ray fro mteh Disco site had emailed me back that the cost is 65 quid for the cover/protector...but he was going to get back to me on the shipping. For now I have a very thick chain and weatherproof lock on the tire.
I am still unclear as to how it attaches and actually works

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked at the BAS device from Uncle Ray on Disco3.co.uk it looks to me like the plate covers the access area to the spare tire winch. The spare tire holding device must hook onto the plate which then covers everything when the wheel is winched back into position. That way, the only way to release the spare tire is through the winch inside the LR.
It seems like a good concept to me, shipping cost and unit cost will be a factor though with the exchange rate. Does someone in the US offer something similar? Perhaps if there was enough interest here on this site we could do a group purchase and reduce costs.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone can figure out how to lower a 31.5" tire that (a) is wedged in tight underneath with minimal air pressure, and (b) is operated by a winch only accessible from inside, then they deserve the tire...I can't imagine how that could be done...

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If someone can figure out how to lower a 31.5" tire that (a) is wedged in tight underneath with minimal air pressure, and (b) is operated by a winch only accessible from inside, then they deserve the tire...I can't imagine how that could be done...

I'm with you!!! There just isn't enough interest here in the states to worry about it in my opinion. Now if you had 22" aftermarket wheels on you might have something to worry about! Mine hangs off the back with no lock and no worries. (who wants a stock rim anyway??)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99