Speaker in middle on top of dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcox

Reaction score
I recently purchased an 06 LR3 SE, so far I'm extremely pleased with it after the first 3k miles. One thing that I still haven't figured out yet, is what is the speaker looking thing in the middle on top of the dash? My salesman didn't even know what it was when I asked and I can't seem to find any reference to it in the manual. I have PTI and was thinking it may have something to do with that?

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's only for the navigation system. I don't have nav, nor the higher end stereo, but I do have the face plate of the center speaker.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the stereo rattle generator. If you lift up the cover its basically just a plastic tray with some ball bearing rolling around in it. :)

jcox

Reaction score
Fortunately, toddjb122, it appears that they forgot to put the ball bearings in mine :). I don't have NAV, so I'm not sure why it would be there if it's only for NAV. I also don't have the premium audio, so I'm not sure if it's really a center channel speaker for the stereo. I can't discern any sound from the stereo coming from it. I have seen others that don't have it so I have to assume it's for something that I'm equipped with? And the only thing that I have that isn't standard is the PTI. BTW, it also has what looks like a button attached, but it's not actually a button? Anyone know for sure?

S

schafari

The "button" is a sun sensor for the auto climate control system. The grill is covering the speaker for the audio system. If you don't have the Logic 7 premium system, you have nine speakers instead of 13.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the center channel speaker, but it is not included on the SE, only on the HSE.

LR3Novice

Reaction score
I have an 2006 SE V8 and I have the "speaker" looking device with the "Sun Sensor" button, so I guess it is not something specific to the HSE. I think it is the Subwoofer/Center channel speaker since SE has the 9 speaker audio system, there a 4 speakers in the front (2 on driver side and 2 on the passenger side) and a similair setup on the 2 row seats, so this must be the 9th speaker.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, 9th is the sub in the tailgate. On the SE the center channel in the dash is not installed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge