Steering Gets Very Difficult!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurt

Reaction score
When driving my 2000 Discovery, at times the steering gets very difficult. To describe: I have noticed that at high speeds about 50mph and getting off of a exit ramp, sweeping turn, or turing without having to come to a full stop. The steering seems to lock up and get very tight!

When driving normal I have not heard any noise and the wheels turn fine. This seems very unsual and is very unnearving since it is happening at higher speeds and sweeping turns.

WHAT COULD THIS BE?

PLEASE HELP!!!:

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...just a guess, but maybe it's a C/V joint locking up. That would be the only steering component that is effected by speed.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a ball joint going bad, or the steering box is about to die.... either way I would have it put on a lift and checked.

Kurt

Reaction score
Any idea on the cost of the steering box or to replace a CV joint. This is a very odd situation. IT is almost like I loose power steering.

Thanks!

Disco Squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IT is almost like I loose power steering

This may be a silly question, but have you checked the steering fluid level?

The cost of fixing it depends on what's really wrong, all we can do is speculate possible causes, so don't start pricing parts until you know whats broken. Your problem could be as easy as a serpentine belt slipping.
Its easy to check the fluid level, do that first.If your mechanical knowledge is limited, you really need to have the steering system looked at by a mechanic and have it fixed. And like Joey said, get the problem checked out ASAP. Good Luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99