Steering Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my 95 disco in today for an alignment, its really bad!!! I have to hold the wheel tight for it to keep straight.. I just had new tires put on aswell.

Mechanic told me he could not do the alignment beacause I needed to replace all 3 rods, bushings, all 4 tie rods and steering damper.
When I say 3 rods, I mean 1 being the panhard and do not no the name of the other 2..

I highly doubt I need to replace the actual rods themselves correct?
Im thinking new tie rods, pan hard rod bushings and damper?

Anything else I should look into?
Where is a reasonable place to purchase the parts?
I also cant find a ome damper

Thanks

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is a reasonable place to purchase the parts?
I also cant find a ome damper

For parts, contact Will since he is the god of all things Rover parts. He may well have a fews things that you're looking for.

Will Tillery
[email protected]

As for whether or not you actually need completely new steering linkage - I'd doubt it. Have you damaged anything lately? I would think some new pan-rod bushings and a tie-rod set should just about do it. A steering dampener shouldn't be a direct alignment issue, more a steering shake-type issue.

Have fun with the bushings.

Cheers

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply...
So, Im going to order a tie-rod set and I beleive there are 6 of them?
Are the tie rods easy to install? The panhard rod bushings ill take to my mechanic for pressing.

What about a track-rod?? Landrover claims I need this asap, may it just be bushings? I dont believe I have damaged anything? How would I know if I need an actual track rod?

Contacted Will via email, still no reply. Maybe I'll call him Monday.. Does he carry new and used parts?

Thanks again

DedNBuried

Reaction score
Not sure about a 95 model, but I just had them (tie-rod ends) all changed on my 97 and I'm glad I took it to someone. He broke two wrenches just trying to get one of them off. He had to finally heat it up cherry red to remove it. Not saying this is the same for you, but for me front end work will be done at a shop.

thanx...Ded N. Buried

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will deals in used parts - good used parts. The only reason I'd think an actual rod would need replacing, is due to it being damaged, bent or something. There are four tie-rod ends that can be replaced. Two on the track rod, two on the steering rod. It's not a tough job. A small sledge hammer and a u-joint removal tool. Auto-Zone rents for no charge when you reurn the tool. There are rod-ends for the sway bar, but I don't think you've mentioned problems in that area.

Also - go to Rover Renovations and obtain a free copy of the workshop manual. I'm not able to attach all the files needed to completely explain.

http://www.rover-renovations.com/Rave-CD-p/rave.htm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo