Stop lights Not Working/Working - Why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
I went into have the Rover inspected last week and was told the stop lights (middle and right) were not working and the inspection would be on hold until the lights were fixed. Thinking that having two of the three lights out at the same time, i had a ground issue and not a bulb.

So.

Spent several nights working, tracing, jumping and the this is what happened.

I pulled the bulbs, checked voltages, shorts, etc. applied 12 volts to the cirsiut and nothing would work. After sitting there a bit contemplating the situation, i checked the ground again and set up the Fluke so that when I applied the brakes, the beeping stopped. Found that gem feature.
The Middle light started working again.

Felt proud that it worked but not knowing what i did.

Then tonight i did the same thing to the right rear light to no avail. even checked at 8:30 before and after i went to the store by backing up to the apartment and looking in the ground floot window. Not working.
Then an hour later, i got a call that my daughters car had a flat, so i went 14 miles away to assist (ADvance Auto employees took care of it) and after her tire was fixed i was standing there talking and asked her to press my brake pedal.

the Right light started working again. i drove home and the lights are still working.

Now.

What the HELL happened? :confused:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a bad brake light switch, or you have normal Lucas Gremlins i.e. ground issues.

Mark

Reaction score
I think that I shorted or made a connection with a short that allowed the electricity to flow again. Arcing to make a connection.

This baffles me.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep Lucas Gremlins they are in there playing with you electrics and enjoy a beer while you search and scratch your head.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4