Supercharger & Brembo Brakes. . .on LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drew888

Reaction score
Can anyone dig up the specs of the OEM brakes? If the piston size/area covered are similar, and all other things being equal, you will not get a shorter stopping distance. Tire choice makes a much larger improvement here.

You will get decreased fade if the overall mass of the Brembo rotor is greater. The Brembo caliper will receive less heat transferred from the rotor and better feel...that's all.

Let's dig up some specs.

D

dry_fly

I was not aware of the LR3 being pre-wired. I have been using my new Silverado with the goose neck & haven't had time to look too much into the LR3. thanks for the info. good luck with your trip.

BELLROVER

Reaction score
Leave your LR3 stock your not a race car driver. the manufacuture designed the lr3 brake system a certain way to correspond with the terrrain response/ ABS system. Invest six thousand dollars into a cd and by a house.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its surprising to see someone concerned with braking. most of my customers used to spend thousands on going fast, but never on slowing down. i would start with a standard upgrade. its way cheaper and maybe all you need. the stock LR3 brakes are great IMO, but the dust is enough to drive anyone crazy. try the EBC 7000 pads and slotted rotors. stay clear of cross drilled rotors, slots and dimples work best. i havent really seen the lines, but if you must, take them to a hydro shop and have some steel braided lines made. steel braided does not swell like rubber and can help. this is where i would start. 90% of the parts on the market here are for domestics. so there is not as many options, i know first hand ebc, hawk, stoptech, baer, endless, ssbc and wilwood are all good companies to try. good luck in your quest.

S

schafari

The LR3 is no performance sports car, and I am certainly not turning it into one, nor would even think about it. I think the LR3 has great brakes, and decent power. My quest was to increase the capacity as on often tow a trailer, wiht five total people in the LR3 as well.

Again, I am shocked by the stock capability of the LR3, but was wondering about a possible OEM upgrade.

The Jag AJ8 engine is an icon that has been around for about a decade or more. The R version, or supercharged has also. I would have liked to the get supercharged in the LR3 if it was offered, along with the higher capacity brakes.

And to those that increase horsepower without looking at improving the other areas of the vehicle. . .that is crazy and perhaps irresponsible. Chassis and braking should be in the process along with HP. Just my two cents.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious... since LR3 already has an extremely good stopping distance, what would the intended purpose of a brake upgrade be? Any real justification, other than maybe bragging rights? I can't see turning LR3 into a track car. :D

Engine power... sure, understandable... but brakes?

It is a fallacy that upgraded brakes will improve stopping distances unless the factory brakes are really really really crappy.

I upgraded the brakes on my Audi S4 for the track to Stoptechs, which are very much like Brembos.

Any decent brake can apply more braking power than the tire can hold, which will, in turn, initiate the ABS system. Once the ABS starts pinging, additional braking power is useless.

The reason for upgraded brakes is to disspate heat. This is important on the track when you are constantly accellerating, then braking, then accellerating, then braking. If your brakes got hot enough, you will boil the brake fluid and the pedal will hit the floor. And, you could smear the brake pad onto the rotor which will result in the sensation of "warped rotors." Rotors, of course, don't really warp, but the pad deposits make it seem like they do. For heat dissipation, upgraded brakes make all the difference.

Frankly, when you upgrade front brakes only, you could be worsening your braking distances because you might be upsetting the front/rear braking balance of your vehicle.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, you hit the nail on the head, but let me spin the perspective. Heat and even applicaiton is the key. More apt, the dissapation and ability to deal with more heat. My concern or desire for an enhanced brake package is because I am towing an RV. Regardless of the RV having trailer brakes, towing an RV creates more stress in many (most) areas of the tow vehicle. One key area besides the transmission and power steering, is the braking system. A bigger rotor with more ability to disapate heat due to more substantial themal mass. . .is good not only for track, but for towing. Keep in mind, the Range Rover Sport has a nicer Brembo brake set up, which would be great if it could be fitted to the LR3 and had this capability.

There is now a performance braking system for the LR3. It is a Brembo based system with slotted/cross drilled rotors. It is just north of $4K. Ouch.

I have owned a few Audis, and am very familiar with the Stoptech "upgrade." Not sure I would go that route for normal street driving. I would go with other options such as upsized roters/pads and better calipers. (Like the upgraded brakes that come wiht the 4.2 V8 as opposed to other engines in the A6 line prior to the most recent new version.)

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I did the Stoptech brake upgrade for the track. The S4 modded as I had it is so fast and heavy that the braking requirements are obscene, especially if you carry every bit of speed into the corner.

And, as for the rotors go slotted if you care about brake performance, go drilled if you want "looks" and cracks. The slots remove trapped gasses and condition the pad, and even help dissapate heat a little. A drill hole is merely a way to increase stress on the rotor at the drill hole about 4 times what it would be without it.

The LR3 brakes are so oversized that they should be suitable even for towing an RV, especially compared to the cost of an upgrade. I think I would go to a smaller brake in a second to get the ability to run 17" wheels and tires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99