Tailgate issue Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My liftgate opens just fine..so far, but the lower taigate will not release. I found alot of info on upper hatch issues but nothing on this.

I checked the OM and did not find any relays or fuses for the gate. My swag is the switch ..what say you? :smile:
TIA
John

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power door lock wiring diagram attached.

You are correct, there does not seem to be much on problems with the lower portion of the rear hatch. I suppose that is good in that means that problems are not common.

About all I can suggest is you pull off the little rubber square press patch and see if you can fool around with the switch that is underneath.

Per the jpg attached, wire C on the first page is the conductor that carries the unlatch signal to the switch shown on page 224. If you have power to the upper hatch, you would appear to have power to the lower so there is not a fuse problem by the look of it to me.

The switch merely grounds the circuit so it you can pierce the upstream side of the switch conductor and ground same, if the latches let go, then you could probably say it was the switch. I doubt both latch's would fail at the same time and the lower and upper hatch grounds are common so ...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/alb..._Door_Lock_wiring_diagrams_p_222_to_226~0.pdf

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info bbyer....I'll take a look at the switch ...probably replace it and the upper latch as well.

Cheers
John

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
consider replacing the lower door handle

If you are thinking of a total rebuild re the lower half of the rear hatch, some replace the hatch door handle as well.

The object of the handle replacement is to get a new upper door release switch. Water gets into the switch thru the flexible rubber switch cover above the licence plate and hence the switch corrodes and the upper hatch will not release. Well it still will from the interior switches on the front dash but then opening the hatch is a two person task - one to push both switch buttons, (lock and unlock simultaneously), and the second person to pull open the upper hatch as it does not spring open by itself.

If you do purchase a new door handle, consider buying the LR4 handle with the built in rear view camera; then if you wish you could modify the NAV and have a rear backup camera.

The link below is to my gallery on disco3 re accessing the latch mechanism in the lower door that releases the upper hatch door.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4155

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4