Tailgate problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hock

Reaction score
I feel the need to offer thanks to all of the DIY'rs that fixed the (tail gate won't open) problem, and posted their experiences. Land Rover quoted $600 to fix, I spent 3-4 difficult hours and spent $2.39 to fix myself. If you are one of the ones who posted detail and/or pics, I read each of your posts and it sure helped.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find it bizarre that there is such disparity in pricing. Dealer fixed mine for $200 (total).

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm, whatever I have to do , I have to ask around,so I usually call two or three dealers in 50 miles radius , for quotes.I remember time when I called one for 75000 miles service and they told me: $1200, whereas second dealer wanted to do the same service for $540.I ended up with INDY shop and payed total of 200 including oils and service.Last Saturday I purchased two quarts of electronic locking differential fluid for 24 dollars each, another dealer wanted 45 per quart.I also do a lot of stuff myself to save some bucks and have overall satisfaction , that i am not a totally useless when it comes to LR3.Foultmate helpes too :biggrin:

NeilP

Reaction score
Prices are all over the place in Australia aswell. I use Indy service for $280 vs the Dealer for $540. The Dealer isn't bothered about looking at warranty faults developing because
they get nothing for the part , and can't screw you for any labour either.
WRT the tailgate problem ; it's a design fault AND a fitting lottery. If you're lucky
then any amount of use ( high in my case ) could be trouble free .........

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished replacing the latch on my '05. It broke five years, almost to the day after I took delivery. I bought a new latch and water shedder delivered for less than $50. Others have repaired the "L" but the new one seems to be much more substantial with a swaged steel fitting rather than a cast *** metal piece.

Follow the TSB. Removing the carpet panel is kind of like removing a tire bead, hard to get started easy after you do. The "best" place to start is about 3 inches to the left (when viewed facing the window) of the bottom curve. I started with a 1 inch wide putty knife and used that as a protector for the plastic trim and then opened a small gap with a large screwdriver and then worked the carpet out with a small screwdriver. Even with removing the carpet all the way across, the space in which to work is very tight. If you buy a replacement latch, you can practice the release before you curse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112