Thoughts on 2021 Bronco as LR4 replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Defender 130 with the bronco tailgate tray please (the tailgate option, is actually an awesome idea).
But Ford build quality scares me. I actually like the bronco as a wrangler challenger, top down, cool odd door options, but for all day every day? I will take the rover ride and build quality over either of them.

My 2011 LR4 still pulls and rides great. It’s mine for another 2 + years, then I will be looking for something, but the ride quality, feel has to be there.

The LR4 is solid. The doors are heavy, **** everything is heavy. But it’s safe, carries my family on any adventure, regardless of the check engine light being activated by the damn gas cap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Also - did you see the towing capacity tops out at 3500lbs? That either says a lot of about the ruggedness of the transmission/drivetrain or they didn't build this thing very solid to be able to handle much other than on-road and some off road.
I had not noticed that until you guys mentioned it. Be curious to hear more details on this as reviews and test rides come out (re. is the low towing capacity a sign of an underbuilt vehicle... all style, no durability?). It is extremely rare that I tow, but for me a sign of an engine designed to work hard for long durations.

Jeeptour Jodi

Reaction score
Been thinking the same thing. Reaching 150,000 on my (2nd) 2011 LR4, thinking it may be time to change up to a 2016 LR4 (last year with this body style). Bronco looks nice and has some nice features, but I truly love the LR4. Looking for a used 2016 WITH the HD pkg, AND low range gear is proving difficult. Saw a Bronze defender yesterday at the dealer (BEAUTIFUL!!!) but would not pay the $88K price tag. Will go that direction after I do a 2016 for 5 - 6 years.
Anyone know of a 2016 (white w/beige interior) with the above features and abt 50,000 miles, pls let me know! Thx

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until I something comes along where I can sleep in the back, I'm keeping the LR4 through hell or high water (and it has already done the high water part).

I doubt you could actually wear out a modern vehicle in most peoples use case. You might need a new mill, but I'm guessing fatigue of the body structure or frame structure is beyond a lifetime.

One of you engineers correct me if I'm wrong.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until I something comes along where I can sleep in the back, I'm keeping the LR4 through hell or high water (and it has already done the high water part).

I doubt you could actually wear out a modern vehicle in most peoples use case. You might need a new mill, but I'm guessing fatigue of the body structure or frame structure is beyond a lifetime.

One of you engineers correct me if I'm wrong.

It will be interesting to see how the usable storage pans out in the Bronco, one of the websites I follow is reporting that the rear passenger seats when folded have a 4" step from the cargo space and they don't entirely fold flat...HOWEVER apparently the slide out tray option on the broncos adds about 4-5" so maybe that will make the fold down space relatively flat?

I love the ability to fold my seats flat and fit copious amounts of cargo or long items in the rover. We have it packed to the gills all the time, I can't imagine not having a flat space now.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the usable storage pans out in the Bronco, one of the websites I follow is reporting that the rear passenger seats when folded have a 4" step from the cargo space and they don't entirely fold flat...HOWEVER apparently the slide out tray option on the broncos adds about 4-5" so maybe that will make the fold down space relatively flat?

I love the ability to fold my seats flat and fit copious amounts of cargo or long items in the rover. We have it packed to the gills all the time, I can't imagine not having a flat space now.
I agree with you 100% and do the same and need the same from a vehicle.

I did see that they have storage in the back of the seats in one of those videos (or under the seats). When I saw that I knew they wouldn't depress down like ours and fold flat. Now, if that slide out tailgate assembly fills in the space that would be cool. It does look like a pretty big piece of metal, though, so it of course also consumes the overall load height we would have.

Will watch and see, for sure, though. I love my LR4, but have not been liking what LR has been putting out lately. (I do think the new Defender is a beauty, though. So I'll keep my eye on that also)

PWD2

Reaction score
... Unfortunately for me, Bronco and Defender both have that huge rear tire swing gate which makes garage cargo access a chore. However, the Bronco has a lift glass which could mean you could at least get the top open...

Bronco_4dr_features_12.jpg

(Not as nice as our tailgate, and I'm sure that huge tray is an accessory that sacrifices cargo space, but still a nice option to see considered)

Interesting contrast with the folks who go off road and want an accessible full size spare instead of the failure prone PITA underslung winch system. Only topped by the ridiculous $700 failure prone tow hitch. Guess that's why i bought a 90 too..
Bronco looks interesting. Hard to beat lr3/4s though. Im hanging on and spending on maintenance.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting contrast with the folks who go off road and want an accessible full size spare instead of the failure prone PITA underslung winch system. Only topped by the ridiculous $700 failure prone tow hitch. Guess that's why i bought a 90 too...
Oh yeah, I get that for sure. A spare under the rear surely isn't easily accessible for those of you that get to put your rig in situations where you are more likely to need a spare than most of us concrete crawlers. ;)

But sadly, you know who the actual market is for LRs vs. the "target" market. I'm just happy to get off pavement at all and chase sand, snow and forest roads when I can. Most of the time, though, I'm hauling kids, kayaks and pups around. And the LR4 is awesome for that also... better than any other SUV out there, actually.
Case in point, here's me yesterday out with the rugrats; (rig lowered for easier yak loading)
2v2HkyAAyxvn42L.jpg

after

rjowenusa

Reaction score
It looks nice and competition is good but it's annoying Ford had to invent a new 'class' of vehicle so they could claim 'best in class'. In reality many specifications are inferior to a Defender (Approach, Departure, Wading, Towing) or our current LR3/4. Many of their specifications are also 'available' meaning removing stuff or adding 35" wheels. Once you do that it's not an elegant on-road vehicle. I just love how a standard LR3/4 is great on-road AND can compete off-road.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72