Thoughts on 2021 Bronco as LR4 replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks nice and competition is good but it's annoying Ford had to invent a new 'class' of vehicle so they could claim 'best in class'. In reality many specifications are inferior to a Defender (Approach, Departure, Wading, Towing) or our current LR3/4. Many of their specifications are also 'available' meaning removing stuff or adding 35" wheels. Once you do that it's not an elegant on-road vehicle. I just love how a standard LR3/4 is great on-road AND can compete off-road.
I was curious about what “class” it’s in since everything was claimed best in class. They also claimed to be the first SUV. Even if you don’t count the first Jeeps and LRs, the International Scout still beat them by 5 years.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably replace my LR with a Bronco, but I’m not in a rush to.
The biggest trade of will be the reduction in rear cabin space versus the fun factor.

Willi

Reaction score
the lack of a diesel version really bothers me. I can understand emission standards and all that, but diesel engines can be made to meed these standards. I prefer the ease of long-range autonomy and the possiblity or running a fuel-burning diesel heater and engine all from a single tank.

As someone living in latin america, the only viable option fuel for overlanding and long-range travel is diesel.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the lack of a diesel version really bothers me. I can understand emission standards and all that, but diesel engines can be made to meed these standards. I prefer the ease of long-range autonomy and the possiblity or running a fuel-burning diesel heater and engine all from a single tank.

As someone living in latin america, the only viable option fuel for overlanding and long-range travel is diesel.

wouldn't shock me if the 3l diesel from the f150 becomes a future option. F150 used the same gas engines as the new bronco, so not a big leap to think it will eventually have that baby diesel.

Scanachi

Reaction score
I like what I see, however... I’m concerned about the powerplant. The Bronco needs a V8.

The towing capacity is feeble, at best.

2 of my brothers have Gen1 Broncos... one is a ‘73 and the other is a ‘77.

Both have powerful V8s... as they should.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what I see, however... I’m concerned about the powerplant. The Bronco needs a V8.

It's a purpose built vehicle. Let concerned about the # of cylinders. Agree, if you are looking for tow capacity, this is disappointing for sure. I guess you just can't have it all. pick your poision.

Wondering how those old broncos stacked up in hp and torque? Long day so I am too lazy to look it up.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The modern ecoboost has way more power than the ‘76 Bronco I owned.

DashRiprock

Reaction score
I will probably replace my LR with a Bronco, but I’m not in a rush to.
The biggest trade of will be the reduction in rear cabin space versus the fun factor.

I am looking at the new Defender and Bronco (reservation in just in case). The Defender is pricey, but the Bronco will probably not be cheap on the higher trims and loaded (Build configurator due out in August). But by my best estimate, a Bronco Badlands 4dr with most features (33" KO2, front/rear locking diffs, detachable sway, V6 auto) will be about $15k+ lower cost than my desired Defender. It's enough to allow me to potentially keep my LR4 and add the Bronco. Best of both worlds! The LR4 as daily driver and the Bronco for ******* fun. Ford Performance will probably come out with a tune for the 2.7L ecoboost if I want more power (i.e. 375+hp, 450+ lb/ft torque) and still keep the warranty intact. Ford already has a tune out for the 2.3L ecoboost (adds about 50 hp & torque).

If I dented the Defender off-road, I'd be upset, but the Bronco, I'd be like...cool! Ha ha. Plus the Bronco body panels are bolt-ons, including the rear quarter panels. The maintenance and repair costs should be a lot cheaper. The Defender and Bronco are different target markets, but there is some overlap.

Wife was not a fan of our short term Jeep, but if I can get this color combo (or a wrap to get white top), she will be ok with the Bronco...

BRONCO_4_DOOR_ACC_0078_C3_v1_current.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Plus the Bronco body panels are bolt-ons, including the rear quarter panels. The maintenance and repair costs should be a lot cheaper. The Defender and Bronco are different target markets, but there is some overlap.

Wife was not a fan of our short term Jeep, but if I can get this color combo (or a wrap to get white top), she will be ok with the Bronco...

BRONCO_4_DOOR_ACC_0078_C3_v1_current.jpg
Didn't know that about the body panels. That's a great feature.
What are those handles for on the front edges of the hood? I notice in one picture they had a cable running from them to the top corners of the windshield. Couldn't figure out what purpose that served.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV