1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on 2021 Bronco as LR4 replacement?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by toddjb122, Jul 16, 2020.

1. toddjb122

toddjb122 Full Access Member

By now I'm sure you've all seen the all new Bronco press, if not... Google it. It's all over the place.

The general train of thought in this group is that most of us did not like the Discovery as an LR4 replacement and have been instead looking to the new Defender, which is more in line with the utilitarian LR4.

I was surprised to see how much capability and functionality the new Bronco promotes. It also has a pretty good slide out tailgate option which is more substantial looking than the Discovery's butt rest. However, I ultimately will be curious to see how the interior space ends up playing out in terms of usability. Do the seats fold flat? Is is wide/long enough to sleep back there and store lots of gear, etc.

From a 4x4 functionality standpoint in the marketing press, the thing checks a hellofa lot of boxes. You can get as much functionality as you want and certainly more than most of us actually use.

My LR4 has a lot of life left in it, but when it comes time to make a next vehicle decision I'll likely be taking a hard look at several options. Unfortunately for me, Bronco and Defender both have that huge rear tire swing gate which makes garage cargo access a chore. However, the Bronco has a lift glass which could mean you could at least get the top open...

[​IMG]
    (Not as nice as our tailgate, and I'm sure that huge tray is an accessory that sacrifices cargo space, but still a nice option to see considered)

Bruce m Fournier and Kerrie like this.
  2. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

Competition for the consumer is a good thing. At the very least the stupid price premiums will go away on the Defenders. In a few years I want to see $10k stacked on the hood of Defenders.

PWD2, Mari Gianati and toddjb122 like this.
  3. TrinidadLR4

TrinidadLR4 Full Access Member

Big fan. Would look at the 2.7 ecoboost 4dr, with some sort of off road package(sasquatch?). I think they hit it out of the park with this one.

4. Rkymtnman

Rkymtnman Active Member

Agreed...I had this conversation last night. When it becomes time, I will have to take a serious look at the new Bronco. When I bought my LR4, it was really the only vehicle that checked all the boxes I needed checked. With the addition of the 2.7 ecoboost in the Bronco, that definitely puts the ford in play. Love with they did with it. Will be interesting to see how both hold up after a couple years on the market.

I won't pay a price premium....I never need to have a "new" ride that bad.

johnnwalters likes this.
  5. TheWidup

TheWidup Full Access Member

I came from Ford because their 4wd system uses a vacuum system to keep in 2wd. When the vacuum starts to fail the hubs start to engage and it basically destroys them. If you want your system to live just drive in 4x4 all the time (which I'm sure will have the terrible Ford turning radius). They've been using that system on all of their 4x4 units for years and afaik have no plan to change that on the bronco.

I'll keep my LR4 before I go back to Ford for anything. Also - did you see the towing capacity tops out at 3500lbs? That either says a lot of about the ruggedness of the transmission/drivetrain or they didn't build this thing very solid to be able to handle much other than on-road and some off road.

Bowman, SkyTree, PWD2 and 2 others like this.
  6. ktm525

ktm525 Full Access Member

Give them some time to further sort the details. He with plastic cross overs should not cast too many stones...

7. DonC

DonC Active Member

I had hopes on it but after seeing the tow rating of only 3500 lbs it is off my list. I am still looking at a defender possibly in the future but I have just decided to invest into my LR4 to keep it around a bit longer.

8. PaulLR3

PaulLR3 Full Access Member

No interest at all if the Bronco's GVWR is under 6000 pounds. (Which I bet it is, given the lame towing capacity)

I use my truck for work and need that section 179 tax deduction. 110 GVWR is 7055.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    LB Bill, toddjb122 and avslash like this.
  9. m_lars

m_lars Full Access Member

I have zero interest in buying another Ford. It’s cool to see them trying to actually make it have off road capability and that only helps the industry. I’m definitely over the retro styling trend. The Camaro was cool when it was reintroduced, but come on. Now we’ve got the mustang, charger, challenger, bronco, etc. I get carrying some design cues but this just seems like lazy design.

10. Ulf001

Ulf001 Member

In terms of styling, the new Bronco is what I hoped the new Defender would be. Definite home run. I agree that the (likely) low towing capacity is a major strike against the Bronco. Looks like I'm destined to keep my LR3 for the foreseeable future, which is perfect because that's in line with what I can afford.

Bowman and toddjb122 like this.