front coolant crossover replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ugmw177

Reaction score
Hello,
I tackled my son's 2011 LR4 5.0 cooling system today. front/rear crossovers, waterpump, thermostat and housing etc. Going smooth except those &^#( spring hose clamps. I like them ok but since never removed since new, they are stubborn as are the hoses. Anyhow, Quick question, pulled the old front crossover and as others have experienced, the flanges and o rings snapped off in the block recesses. I got them out and cleaned up the aluminium. lubricated the o rings with coolant on the new one and dropped it into place. It seems that it does not seat very deep in the recesses. bolts tighten up to stops but I think i can see the tops of the o rings...it is OE JLR pipe; is this normal. I would have expected them to slip further down into the recesses

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be coolant in the bolt holes.
Blow out the bolt holes. Use a screwdriver to seat the Y pipe in the block.

ugmw177

Reaction score
Thanks RR. Actually when i went out this morning and it was actually light where i was working the pipe was seated correctly. I guess old eyes and darkish work space combined to make it look incorrect. I then proceeded to the rear heat manifold..boy that was is always fun. Finally all buttoned up with new waterpump, thermostat and housing, front and rear crossovers. vacuum tested system [holds 20" mercury for at least 30 mins]. vacuum refilled and took for test drive..all is well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72