Crossover pipe work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never been changed as far I as I know (I’m the second owner). I’ll probably look to a dealer to have that work done (or a different mechanic).

I believe the newer front crossover pipes are metal instead of plastic? Is that true? If so, does that eliminate the issue for good?
New/updated factory front crossover pipe for the SCV6 is still "plastic" but much thicker, and no seam. I could easily slip my finger in the original pipe, but not the newer pipe...BIG difference/improvement.

IF the guy did a good job on rear, no reason not to use him for the front....There are many gifted natural techs out there that are not LR specific that can easily do this job, but you'll prob pay for coolant/labor to fill/bleed again. Maybe he will work with you on that.

I removed my Supercharger/IC/Intake as I wanted to inspect, and clean everything as well as change the oil and replace the coupler in the SC, plus I just did ALL the hoses, WP and Therm, front/rear pipes, oil cooler seals.

Glad it worked out for you.

Tim

Last edited:

tj5693

Reaction score
New/updated factory front crossover pipe for the SCV6 is still "plastic" but much thicker, and no seam. I could easily slip my finger in the original pipe, but not the newer pipe...BIG difference/improvement.

IF the guy did a good job on rear, no reason not to use him for the front....There are many gifted natural techs out there that are not LR specific that can easily do this job, but you'll prob pay for coolant/labor to fill/bleed again. Maybe he will work with you on that.

I removed my Supercharger/IC/Intake as I wanted to inspect, and clean everything as well as change the oil and replace the coupler in the SC, plus I just did ALL the hoses, WP and Therm, front/rear pipes, oil cooler seals.

Glad it worked out for you.

Tim
Thanks!

Yeah, I asked him for a quote to do the front crossover, water pump, and thermostat, which is when he told me he didn’t have the right tool (alignment pins) and he left it at that. So I guess he had no interest in doing the job.

How was it for you? I do most auto work myself whenever possible and do have experience, but was nervous to tackle this job based on things I’ve read - and the fact that it was leaking coolant and I didn’t have the luxury of time and the amount of research and prep I like to do. However, now that the leak is fixed, I’d love to look into the possibility of doing the rest of the work myself. It sounds like there are plenty of members who have done this themselves with success.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Yeah, I asked him for a quote to do the front crossover, water pump, and thermostat, which is when he told me he didn’t have the right tool (alignment pins) and he left it at that. So I guess he had no interest in doing the job.

How was it for you? I do most auto work myself whenever possible and do have experience, but was nervous to tackle this job based on things I’ve read - and the fact that it was leaking coolant and I didn’t have the luxury of time and the amount of research and prep I like to do. However, now that the leak is fixed, I’d love to look into the possibility of doing the rest of the work myself. It sounds like there are plenty of members who have done this themselves with success.

So as I stated, my wife has a 2016, so same truck as you, and just for PM I decided to replace the front and rear cross pipes, Waterpump, Therm, Oil Cooler seals (from WP), Supercharger Snout coupler, drain/refill SC oil, and replace EVERY hose in the engine compartment, as well as removing the radiator to clean and replace the bottom seal.

Just take your time, take ALOT of pictures, and if you are replacing all the hoses, you need to lay them out on the floor, and reconnect them as you take them off, as it's by far the most complicated hose arrangement I've ever seen! but on the good side, all Land Rover hoses come with the clamps preattached, and marking for alignment.

(IMHO: I would ONLY use OE Land Rover Parts on this, I just don't risk any cooling system part to aftermarket, or even OEM, as I've seen a difference in OEM and OE o-rings on BMW quick connect hoses, where the OEM failed, then I replaced the o-ring from a 5 year old OE (BMW Branded) hose that I had laying around, but before I installed I measured the thickness, and the 5 year old o-ring was round where as the OEM had flattened out, thus causing the leak.)

Anyway, Read thru this thread from start to end before you decide:

https://www.landroverworld.org/thre...over-water-pump-thermostat-replacement.42027/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72