Rear crossover pipe screw stripped..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't look stripped out, but there might be some rounded corners that the pic doesn't show. Try putting your left hand on the ratchet pivit point/ratchet head and push towards the bolt before using your right hand to rotate the ratchet handle to hold the bit in there so it doesn't slide out, but back off right when you feel it start to slip out so you don't keep rounding it off and try again with more pressure from your left hand.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it won't budge. The bit slips out instead. If I try to turn it to tighten, it keeps grip, just won't budge either, but in the direction to loosen, it slips off every time. Someone suggested some anti rust spray so I'll try that.
That's super weird, esp. with Torx. I agree, let is soak over night with some PB Blaster and also figure out if you can keep is mechanically engaged as you try to undo it, can you get something behind the head of the wrench/rachet to push the Torx bit into the head of the bolt? (I know there's not a ton of room back there!).

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PB Blaster and try and clean the head out. Maybe there is some dirt/debris in there.

I'm not familiar with this job, but if you can get compressed air into it to clean it out that might help too. Or a soft wire brush.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
From the photo it looks like the passenger side bolt on the passenger side??
And you are working on the V8 right?

IF that's what you are working on, that bolt is not a straight in shot with the T-30, it's a touch off.
I used a swivel.
Those few degrees of correction might make a difference.

I boogered up the head on that one putting it back in.
Although it torqued and was OK, I took the extra step of purchasing a new one and making it right.
No, I don't recall the part number.

There are plenty of on-line Rover parts places, but I prefer to use
Palm Beach Rover Parts - Google it exactly that way.
They can look up the number for you.

Maybe it's my local dealership marking things up crazy amounts, but I have found that for small items like that, where shipping is more than the part, that the total delivered cost from PBR is pretty much equal to the cost at my local Rover dealership.

Last edited:

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Also, use a brand new, quality torx bit.

So many of my tools are almost 50 years old now. I have fond memories of them as Christmas presents, and I was specifically told that they were very expensive - so they must have been because speaking of Christmas present costs was never done in my family.

But I suppose it is actually time to replace some of the rounded out sockets - goodbye old friends....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72