Thoughts on potential purchases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichaelNCusa

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. Trying to decide between 2 options and wanted to get folks thoughts. First car is a '15 with/65k miles in nice shape, somewhat spotty carfax service history. Would get inspected. 2nd car is also a '15 with/55k miles also in nice shape, good service history and has a year of certification warranty left on it. That car is close to $4k more more. The higher mileage car does have roof rails and cross bars which is nice. Is the smarter buy the car with a year of warranty and lower miles if price wasn't a deciding factor even though it is?

Thanks.

Asilver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If price wasn't a factor, and you like the colors the same and they have similar options, I would always say that a lower mileage car with a better service history and a warranty will out weigh some rack rails which you can get anywhere. For an extra $4k... I'd say its just about worth it for the piece of mind.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new member here. Trying to decide between 2 options and wanted to get folks thoughts. First car is a '15 with/65k miles in nice shape, somewhat spotty carfax service history. Would get inspected. 2nd car is also a '15 with/55k miles also in nice shape, good service history and has a year of certification warranty left on it. That car is close to $4k more more. The higher mileage car does have roof rails and cross bars which is nice. Is the smarter buy the car with a year of warranty and lower miles if price wasn't a deciding factor even though it is?

Thanks.
I had a very similar decision and went with the one that cost a bit more and had a more complete service history. I still did some pre-emptive maintenance on it but felt good about having the lower mileage better maintained vehicle as my starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelNCusa

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I tend to agree with the thinking. Also just heard the less expensive car has a small oil leak being addressed by Land Rover now. Helps because it is being addressed by dealer but also makes me a little nervous. Doesn't help my decision making.

MichaelNCusa

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. I tend to agree with the thinking. Also just heard the less expensive car has a small oil leak being addressed by Land Rover now. Helps because it is being addressed by dealer but also makes me a little nervous. Doesn't help my decision making.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get the lower mileage one with the year of warranty. I don't think it would be that hard to get that cost difference made back in the first year under warranty or at least partially. There is also the piece of mind knowing its under warranty + it has the lower mileage. These are great cars if you take care of them and you may end up keeping it for a long time. 10K miles is almost a year of driving on average so that's not insignificant.

When I bought my LR4 a few years ago I bought the lowest mileage one I could find in the country in my price range. I am very glad I did as 2.5 years later I have put over 60k miles on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72