thule aeroblades and fit kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nick, thank you for the confirmation regarding the anchors. However, I bought the fit kit last year and already ground the anchors down to fit perfectly inside the rails with all 4 corners in contact. I will say that they are made of very strong steel and get very hot when grinding them down to fit correctly. Be sure to hold them with pliers or vise grips when grinding then dunk in cold water to cool.

Having used Thule products for many years, I know your products are carefully designed to fit. I never would have thought that the anchors were designed to have just 2 corners grab onto the rails. Seems like a compromise. If we can afford a Land Rover then we can afford to pay more for anchors that fit our rails with all 4 corners in contact.

Now if I can just figure out how to repair my 1200 roof box locking mechanism. While 5 hours from home at Sugarloaf in -6 temp, something snapped off inside when I unlocked the box. It was then stuck in the unlock position along with the key stuck in the lock. Thankfully I had Thule straps with me that I could use to secure the box closed for the trip home. And I am finally getting the feeling back in my fingertips from mild frostbite when trying to lock the box.

Last edited:

FitViking

Reaction score
Yikes!

Nick, thank you for the confirmation regarding the anchors. However, I bought the fit kit last year and already ground the anchors down to fit perfectly inside the rails with all 4 corners in contact. I will say that they are made of very strong steel and get very hot when grinding them down to fit correctly. Be sure to hold them with pliers or vise grips when grinding then dunk in cold water to cool.

Having used Thule products for many years, I know your products are carefully designed to fit. I never would have thought that the anchors were designed to have just 2 corners grab onto the rails. Seems like a compromise. If we can afford a Land Rover then we can afford to pay more for anchors that fit our rails with all 4 corners in contact.

Now if I can just figure out how to repair my 1200 roof box locking mechanism. While 5 hours from home at Sugarloaf in -6 temp, something snapped off inside when I unlocked the box. It was then stuck in the unlock position along with the key stuck in the lock. Thankfully I had Thule straps with me that I could use to secure the box closed for the trip home. And I am finally getting the feeling back in my fingertips from mild frostbite when trying to lock the box.

Paul,
I'll ignore the grinding and possible annealing comment about the plates.. Hahah.. Just know that we can't warranty that rack anymore..

But the box, well the box I can help you with - possibly.

There isn't anything that can really snap off in the box if your actuating the lock mechanism by hand. But, something may have been blocking the lock bar from moving back and forth - and you may have just popped something out of place.

If you want to send me some pictures of the lock bar and the points where the top locks into it (they look like black cups with a red, black or grey dot inside) I'd be glad to help you.

Nick
[email protected]

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nick, thank you for the offer. There was nothing in contact with the sliding locking bar when it broke. The box was empty. When I turned it to the unlock position it made a noise then was stuck in the unlock position with the key in the lock. Having broken keys before, I thankfully had the second box key with me. I could then access it from the other side to load the skis in it. (Not easy in -6 temp with the box against the opposite side of the LR3)

I'm probably done with this box. It leaks up front when it rains, the arms that grab the bars are getting corroded, and I don't want to deal with the lock malfunctioning again, even if I can fix it. Plus, I bought it to fit my allroad and can get a bigger box now that I'm driving an LR3.

Probably going with a Sonic XL if I can find one in stock and wondering if the Hyper XL is really worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

FitViking

Reaction score
P.S Thule has a Lifetime Warranty

Nick, thank you for the offer. There was nothing in contact with the sliding locking bar when it broke. The box was empty. When I turned it to the unlock position it made a noise then was stuck in the unlock position with the key in the lock. Having broken keys before, I thankfully had the second box key with me. I could then access it from the other side to load the skis in it. (Not easy in -6 temp with the box against the opposite side of the LR3)

I'm probably done with this box. It leaks up front when it rains, the arms that grab the bars are getting corroded, and I don't want to deal with the lock malfunctioning again, even if I can fix it. Plus, I bought it to fit my allroad and can get a bigger box now that I'm driving an LR3.

Probably going with a Sonic XL if I can find one in stock and wondering if the Hyper XL is really worth the extra cost.

Paul,
I'd still be happy to look at some pictures of the lock bar, if you change your mind.

I can tell you, however, that both the Sonic and Hyper are great boxes. They're both feature packed; the Hyper being the most advanced box on the market today.

Nick

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72