Ticking from under valve covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbl

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2003 disco with constant ticking coming from under the valve covers. Are the rocker arms have adjustments? otherwise, it runs smooth and perfect, thanks

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on the engine, how often is the oil changed and what weight oil are you using?
No there is no adjustment, just valve train wear.
You might go to either the LRO or the LRF to the D2 section and read the sticky regarding head gasket and valve train noise.

sbl

Reaction score
ticking from under valve covers in 03 D2

I use mobil one 5-30 and change every 5k, engine has 80k, what do you think?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, stop using a 5/30 oil in the warm months, should be in the 10/40 to so/50 range.
So, did you go read the link I suggested?

sbl

Reaction score
Ticking from under valve covers in 03 D2

Hi, I read the sticky that Disco Mike recommended about the ticking coming from my 03 Disco, 85K miles, 4.6. I changed the oil from 5/30 to 10/40. The ticking noise that develops after it is warmed up is still there. How many miles does it need to be driven before the new weight oil takes effect? What would be the next step of diagnostics? Should I check oil pressure with an oil pressure gauge? Where should I connect it? The truck starts up and sounds great when cold, then ticks at operating temp? Any guidance is greatly appreciated, especially the wisdom of Disco Mike!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need more then a heavier oil. When does the ticking start, when cold or once the engine warms up?
How mechanical are you?

sbl

Reaction score

Hi, The disco starts up, no noise, completely quiet & runs perfect, then when the temperature reaches the middle of the gauge, you can hear the ticking noise beginning and still running perfect and smooth. I am mechanical, have worked on it plenty! What do you think?

active85

Reaction score
Ticking

Just as a pointer, if the ticking is still there with the heavier weight oil but only after it has warmed up then the damage is already done. The wear once occurred, can not be reversed, if you file the corner off a lump of steel, it does not grow back. This is the case with the worn valve follower. The gap between the follower and the cam is not essentially critical, they can function for many many thousands of miles before they need major repair even when slightly worn. If the gap has worn by lets say 4 or 5 thousands of an inch, it will tick. The thicker oil will place a heavier film between the cam and the follower and quieten it down until the oil reaches its optimal temperature then the film thins out and the ticking will start again.
The weight of oil is also not so critical unless you are running a super car with masses of power.
Look at the way oils perform, they start cold and when cold they will be slightly thicker, but any oil producer will recommend you warm your engine before use. This is because all oils worm at an optimal temperature to give there best performance, so in theory the oil, regardless of weight will eventually reach the same viscosity as any other iol used in the engine. Eventually (at optimum temperature) all engine oils reach the same viscosity. This is why the ticking comes back when the engine is warm.

Your change frequency is good at 5K, if not already using it, try a full synthetic oil. What can happen is micro debris carried by the oil and filtered by the oil filter can find its way under the hydraulic valve lifters and cause one or more to stick . When the engine gets worm its tolerances get tighter and the micro debris can cause the lifter to stick and not react as quickly as it should.

I had this on my freelander, so I got full synthetic oil but flushed my engine by adding 1 pint of diesel to the oil before changing it, let the engine run to its correct temperature, then when cool enough to handle, I dropped the oil while still hot.
New filter and new synthetic oil. fired the motor up and let it reach temperature again before taking it for a spin. Presto, ticking gone.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, it is time to talk, you have any of a couple of issues and you reqally should stop driving it until it is fixed.
MP me your number and lets talk today.

sbl

Reaction score

thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member