Ticking from under valve covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbl

Reaction score
ticking from under valve covers in 03 D2

The diesel flush you mentioned, is that an oil or a specific diesel flush?

sbl

Reaction score
ticking from under valve covers in 03 D2

I am going to check the oil pressure on my 03 disco, if I find that the oil pump is failing, does replacing it solve the problem? or is the engine itself defective
from the manufacturing process?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't guess, it will just send you in the wrong direction.
Get the oil pressure tested cold at idle and cold at 2000 RPN's then again when hot at idle and 2000 RPM's then get back to us with your numbers.

sbl

Reaction score
How and where do I access the sticky on discovery II 03 4.6 valve train noises?

sbl

Reaction score
03 disco 90K ticks when warm, good oil pressure

My 03 disco, 90k miles has a ticking noise when it is fully warmed up, mostly at idle. When started up cold there is no noises, runs strong, when completely warmed up the ticking occurs and always runs strong. I installed an oil pressure gauge in the truck instead of the light. Oil pressure idling cold 35 lbs and 45 lbs at 2000 rpm, hot idle 18 lbs and 45 lbs at 2000 rpm. I am running 20-50 weight oil. Would a cooler thermostat or an engine oil cooler help? Any direction and help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

sbl

Reaction score
03 disco 90K ticks when warm, good oil pressure

My 03 disco, 90k miles has a ticking noise when it is fully warmed up, mostly at idle. When started up cold there is no noises, runs strong, when completely warmed up the ticking occurs and always runs strong. I installed an oil pressure gauge in the truck instead of the light. Oil pressure idling cold 35 lbs and 45 lbs at 2000 rpm, hot idle 18 lbs and 45 lbs at 2000 rpm. I am running 20-50 weight oil. Would a cooler thermostat or an engine oil cooler help? Any direction and help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

active85

Reaction score
The diesel flush you mentioned, is that an oil or a specific diesel flush?

I just use regular easel added to the oil, I do not drive the car with it in, just run it up to temperature, leave at that for a few mins to let the diesel flush all the crud away and as soon as it is cool enough to handle, I drop the drain plug while still quite hot. It has worked for me for years specially when used on engines with hydraulic lifters or floating cylinders because it allows the crud to be washed out of the small gaps which can cause sticky tappers or slap on the floating liners

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are looking to flush the engine, you drain all the oil and replace it with 6 quarts of diesel, let it idle for 30 minutes and don't drive it.

SBL,
If you want some help with this, send me your number and I would be glad to help you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM