Ticking underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phelme

Reaction score
Hey all...

just got a 2008 LR3 HSE, coming from a 2006 Range Rover Sport, yes, some will think I'm crazy, but except for the slightly more nimble behavior of the Sport, I prefer the LR3. Go figure. :smile:

Anyway, my new LR3 presents a lot of ticking noise coming from underneath. These are especially apparent after the engine is turned off. I don't remember this behavior from my old Sport when I got it. Is it probably just the catalytic converter or should I be worried already? :ahhhhh:

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is cool you like the LR3 more. That is the first time I have heard such an opinion :) I would definitely take it to the dealer while you still have a good war.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is most likely the stainless steel exhaust expanding and shrinking after being heated and cooled. Nothing to be concerned about.

-Rich

C

Cat

Hey Slam,
I have a RRS (wife drives) & a LR3.... there is no doubt in my mind that the better drive & vehicle is the LR3...

THE CAT
'06 RRS-HSE Java Black/Ivory/Lux Pkg/Cold Climate Pkg/Rear Ent/Sat. Radio/Bluetooth
'05 LR3 SE-7 Adriatic Blue/Alpaca Lthr/Lighting Pkg/Cold Climate Pkg/Rear Climate Control

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This noise will go away as the stainless exhaust settles in.

No worries Mate!

phelme

Reaction score
It is most likely the stainless steel exhaust expanding and shrinking after being heated and cooled. Nothing to be concerned about.

-Rich

yep. that's exactly it! my loaner 2008 LR3 makes the same noise and the dealer has to quell every new owners fear about it. you can tell they are very tired of that question. :wink:

I have the loaner because unfortunately, the driver's side outside mirror has a BIG gap between it and the plastic mount and needs to be replaced. i thought the wind noise at the mirror was odd and that's when I discovered it. you can see the mechanism underneath and I was concerned about water getting in there, among other things (snakes? :biggrin:). who knows what happened to it, doesn't look like it was hit or anything.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....I have a pretty big gap between my mirror and the housing, too. My LR3 is a 2005, what year is yours? ...and just how "big" is that gap?

phelme

Reaction score
2008. The gap was probably 3/4 of an inch. they had to replace the whole mirror and they said the mirror itself was defective, it wasn't an installation issue with the original mirror.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gap in my mirror is at least that big; but I always figured that was normal and a function of my setting (I like to sit VERY upright). I have never had an issue (knock on wood) as far as its function; despite washing the car normally and getting water in there.

Any other symptoms or indications that it's abnormal that you can suggest I look for?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4