Tips and hacks to get the best mpg out of your LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
Now, I didnt buy mine to brag about the mpg (and kinda smirk at anyone who asks that! :bootyshak ) however just curious about any specifics that you follow to get the best mpg out of it (sport mode, lower or higher suspension height, keeping it below rpms, etc) given that concrete is where it is more often than not.....

PS: Torque pro shows mine at 16.1 mpg during city driving

Last edited:

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well 16.1 mpg isn't that bad if you've got the v8 petrol engine IMO, mine's well worse...
Anyhow I think putting more air into the tyres helps I've also read that the engine is most efficient when one keeps the revs between 2300 and 3000 rpm.
then again I'm no authority, my LR averages 12mpg :hmpf:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing I noticed is to remove the roof cross bars when not in use. Without them I could get 19 to 20 mpg on rather flat highway driving. But if I put bikes or a ski box on the roof or drive in the hills of VT, 16 to 17 mpg was the best I could get. And the LR4 gets 1-2 mpg less in all conditions.

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting 16-17 on the Highway.... 12-13 in the city.

The tank I am on right now I am going to get close to 20, driving all highway, and not using the A/C at all.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I drive the speed limit on the interstate and try to avoid big accelerations, I can get 22.5 mpg between Seattle and Portland.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I drive the speed limit on the interstate and try to avoid big accelerations, I can get 22.5 mpg between Seattle and Portland.

Most people wouldn't know our speed limit along there is most often 60 with only a few sections of 70. So, I know you're rolling slow for 22 mpg ;)

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(sport mode, lower or higher suspension height, keeping it below rpms, etc)

Not sport mode.

You can't change height unless you have aftermarket elec tool. Do you?

Larger tires that are the least aggressive tread and ideally an eco compound. Example: Michelin MS2 greenX in 31.5-32" size.

That plus non-ethanol fuel and you can see +15-20% mpg increase.

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
Not sport mode.

You can't change height unless you have aftermarket elec tool. Do you?

I haven't tried yet as its kind of new to me but it has a lower height lock symbol in there. Since I keep it at a normal height, it doesnt matter much, however, I was wondering by locking to a lower height one could drive at that height throughout. Isn't that true? Not sure the impact of it on mpg.. Lower to ground could mean better grip ==> more resistance ==> lower mpg !? but then higher from ground could mean more air resistance as well.

I just added the nerf side bars (have couple of family members <5' ) so that additional weight is going to change things as well.

By the way, is there any recommended additive that protects the engine while helping w/ mpg? I was hoping premium gas and its internal additives should take care engine quite a bit by itself.

johnsoax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ride height lock is only for when you are going slow in a parking garage. You speed up and it raises to normal all by itself. Somewhere around 20MPH I believe, but it may be lower.

No additives are recommended. In any car. Ever. ;).

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ride height lock is only for when you are going slow in a parking garage. You speed up and it raises to normal all by itself. Somewhere around 20MPH I believe, but it may be lower.

No additives are recommended. In any car. Ever. ;).

You are disseminating not quite true information.

Some additives can actually help with moisture if a vehicle is going to not run through the fuel soon or sit a lot. Guess what, non-ethanol gas is also better for an engine not running through the fuel.

If you're so against "additives" then you should not be using ANY fuel with the "up to 10% ethanol" in it. Which is true really, the ethanol is not a good thing but that's another topic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90