Torque converter bolt removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashford99

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am in need of some help. The transmission on my 2010 Range Rover sport HSE (non-supercharged) has went out. My husband and I are replacing it ourselves.
We got the transfer case out but after removing the starter to get access to the torque converter bolts it’s damn near looks impossible to get to them. There is a metal ring that is blocking access to them. We are stumped and frankly super frustrated. This has already been such a process.
Does anyone know how to access the torque converter bolts so we can pull the transmission from the back of the motor?
Please help!

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
That's a job well beyond anything I would attempt, but I have found that the mechanics manuals, although far from perfect, are useful. Not sure about your year and model but my manuals were $13.50 from Craigsmanuals, and they are immediate download. Something like your job should have instructions for the disassembly - keeping in mind that the manuals are generic enough to cover multiple years and show you what to do using very cryptic diagrams, so they take some effort to decypher.

Jon_M

Reaction score
Ashford - I just did that job on a 2010 rr hse. There is a plug / cover on the engine side behind the torque converter. take the driver side wheel off and remove the splash guard to get to it.

You'll need to turn the flex plate to line up the 4 bolts on the torque converter with the hole. use a magnetic socket so you don't lose any bolts behind the flex plate.

I ordered a torque converter from Florida torque converters, sonax zip kit for the mechatronic valve body, sonax bushes in the transmission and replaced steels and frictions with zf parts.

Let me know if you have questions.

Regads,
Jon

Ashford99

Reaction score
Ashford - I just did that job on a 2010 rr hse. There is a plug / cover on the engine side behind the torque converter. take the driver side wheel off and remove the splash guard to get to it.

You'll need to turn the flex plate to line up the 4 bolts on the torque converter with the hole. use a magnetic socket so you don't lose any bolts behind the flex plate.

I ordered a torque converter from Florida torque converters, sonax zip kit for the mechatronic valve body, sonax bushes in the transmission and replaced steels and frictions with zf parts.

Let me know if you have questions.

Regads,
Jon
Thank you! We are now installing the new transmission. Do you happen to know if the torque converter bolts and bell housing bolts have to be torqued to a certain spec?

Jon_M

Reaction score
Ashford99,

The transmission retaining bolt torque spec is 40nm and the torque converter bolts are 62nm. I used threadlocker on the torque co verter bolts.

Regards,
Jon

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV