Tow bar welded in? Need help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lunar

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a 2006 HSE and having some real issues getting the tow bar out. Can anyone with the same look under their Rover for me and tell me if yours looks the same? Did the previous owner weld in the tow bar? I think there's a pin up at the top. I'm attaching photos to show where I'm looking.

Does that look like yours? Or is that not even affecting it?

I have the gears and everything out of it, so nothing should be holding it on the lower end. But that tongue that comes out won't budge.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20211017_165053~2.jpg
    20211017_165053~2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20211017_165109~2.jpg
    20211017_165109~2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 62

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not the pin.
Directly below your red arrow is a D shaped pin in a rectangular hole.
Between the safety chain loops, very low on the hitch receptacle.

That D shaped pin is the part that retracts.
Seeing how crusty your seems to be, a few taps on the pin should maybe loosen it.
Maybe try some penetrant spray in there too.

Lunar

Reaction score
That's not the pin.
Directly below your red arrow is a D shaped pin in a rectangular hole.
Between the safety chain loops, very low on the hitch receptacle.

That D shaped pin is the part that retracts.
Seeing how crusty your seems to be, a few taps on the pin should maybe loosen it.
Maybe try some penetrant spray in there too.
Thanks Douglastic, and yep I know the large pin, but I think there's a smaller one that pops out. I've been soaking that thing in penne lube and hammering it but it won't budge. Does yours have the weld mark above?

I guess that pin is on the other side now that I look at it. But surely they wouldn't have welded in the tongue? Just hoping someone else could look under to see if that was a normal weld mark. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211019-130942_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-130942_Chrome.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 46

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My spare tire is in right now, so can't easily get a look for you - maybe someone w/o a spare in can confirm?

But the little pin you just circled is definitely not your "rusted plug of concern".
That little release pin on the front (that pops the D-shape pin out) is inaccessible to welding once inserted. (the little pin gets pushed downward into the hitch body when installed)

And the hitch wedge does not go up very far, certainly not way up to the part you think is welded.

Have you tried some heat on the receptacle (not the inserted hitch) for expansion?

Lunar

Reaction score
Good point about that pin. I was thinking it popped out somewhere and caught, but you're right, it's the opposite, it gets pushed in when inserted and comes out when it's out. I haven't tried any heat yet, but I think I'm to that point, thanks for the reminder. And thanks again, I appreciate the responses!

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link that may have some further info because I thought yours was in backward.

Lunar

Reaction score
Thanks @remember5 . I think the lesson there is just keep hitting it with a hammer. Gonna need to find my ear plugs lol. Maybe a bigger hammer too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi