Tow hitch receiver Q

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dipan

Reaction score
:confused:

I feel like a fool for not being able to install this part. Maybe it has something to do with the fire ants biting me while I was lying on the ground trying to figure it out.

I bought the newer version LR019990 receiver and figured out how the pin on the top engages the bolt to keep it in place, but, for the life of me, I cannot get it engaged far enough to engage the pin and deploy the bolt. I tried to trick it by deploying the bolt with the receiver in my hands and then retracting it almost all the way, but no dice. The whole receiver does not engage far enough in the recess to allow the bolt to engage.

Now I do have the HD package and a full size spare in the way, but it doesn't seem that the tire is getting in the way. It's close but probably barely clears. I might have to loosen the spare to see if that helps.

Anyone else have any difficulty?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have nver had any difficulty at all. In fact, I can just get down on one knee and put the hitch on the LR4. There is never a need to lay on the ground to get it in there.

You have taken the red plug out right? There are two pins on the hitch; one large one that is the one that locks the hitch into place and a smallyer one that activates the larger pin automatically. Now that I think about it, I may have been a bit confused on how this worked the first time I tried to put the hitch in.

I guess this is what I would do: make sure you have the key in the handle. Turn the handle to make sure the locking pin is fully retracted. You have to pull out on the green handle to make sure the handle will turn. It should lock the big bin back in the reciever.

Once you get the hitch slid into place, the handle will turn automatically and lock the hitch to the truck. You can then turn the key to the locked position and pull the key out.

Let me know if you still need more help. I can grab my phone and take a quick video of my LR4 and hitch.

Rob

dipan

Reaction score
Thanks Rob. I believe I was doing it as you suggested, but the pin wouldn't deploy. I loosened the full size spare and snugged it up again while trying to keep it pushed away from the hitch receiver mounting point. Pushed the reeiver in and I was pleased to hear it just snap in place. Very tight tolerance, no wiggle at all. Seems to work real well now. If ony those fire ant bites will settle down now :)

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the HD package as well and the hitch doesn't seem to be too close to the tire at all. I've taken our hitch on and off several times, is it possible your hitch is defective?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rob. I believe I was doing it as you suggested, but the pin wouldn't deploy. I loosened the full size spare and snugged it up again while trying to keep it pushed away from the hitch receiver mounting point. Pushed the reeiver in and I was pleased to hear it just snap in place. Very tight tolerance, no wiggle at all. Seems to work real well now. If ony those fire ant bites will settle down now :)

Glad to hear it is working now. Once you get it in there one time, I'm sure it will be easier the next and subsequent times.

As Don pointed out, I don't think it is the tire that is getting in the way. Even without the matching wheel and real full size spare tire, the on my LR4 is still the same diameter, so it fills that area the same as the full sized one. I've never had an issue with clearance.

Good luck with the fire any bites. Still remember those from basic training in Texas. OUCH!

Rob

dipan

Reaction score
I promise, I am NOT making this up ... Do you guys have the other (longer) version of the hitch receiver???

Forgive me for not rotating these pics ...

9bfe00d3.png

7beff08a.png

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look right with the spare right against the hitch!

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your spare tire is hanging too low. My guess is that it's not up all the way.

Rob

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. It does appear that the spare is not stowed properly and is hanging too low.

dipan

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will double check it ... This seems like a reasonable reason as to why the hitch wouldn't seat the first time I tried and tried ...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99