Towing Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider

Reaction score
I have read through some of the previous threads and still don't have a clear picture of what the LR3 can handle towing. I am aware of the 550 vs 770 issue which I have not been able to find a consistent or good answer as to why there are two numbers and what the real tongue weight is? Like many other my rec. has 770 stamped on it. Also I have heard the max tow capacity is based on towing in low range. What is the max towing capacity in the normal range?

It seems there are examples of people towing 6000 lbs + trailers and over 550in in tongue weight with no problems in both flat land and mountain conditions.

I am looking at getting a smaller toy hauler that has a dry weight around or under 4500lbs and estimate the gross weight will be between 6000-6500 when loaded (water, fuel, dirt bikes, gear, etc). Hitch or tongue weight would exceed 550, but would be under the 770.

Anyone have some good answers to the tongue weight issue and the real towing capcity/capability of the LR3?

Thanks!

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is equipped with the V8 or diesel you will be able to easily tow this trailer in high range. I tow trailers all the time everything from utility farm trailers loaded with you name it, fully loaded two place horse trailers, and the big dog a 6500+ lb boat & trailer and the LR3 with the V8 has towed them all with ease. I believe the owners manual does a pretty good job of outlining tow capacity for the LR3, but I believe any load being towed above 5000 lbs it is reccommended to do so with a trailer equiped with brakes. Some trailers if not equipped with a suppression brake, would require the installation of a brake booster to run via the trailer electrical harness. For a trailer of your weight, you should not need a weight distribution hitch either, plus I think I recall reading somewhere that the LR3 was not compatable. I have not used one nor felt the need to use one, as it is imperative that load you are towing is properly distributed over the axle(s) of the trailer. Another aspect which frequently goes over looked is to ensure you have the trailer load level from the reciever hitch to the axle height. I have frequently seent this go overlooked with the LR3 given the unique removable hitch receiver which causes the trailer reciever to be mounted too low thus increasing the load weight to shift forward towards the reciever. I use a 6" drop ball mount with the ball mounted in the reverse order to raise the ball to the appropriate towing level needed to keep a level load. With the proper setup you should not have any issues at all.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Dry Fly thanks for you response. How does your LR handle towing the 6500 + boat? Does it feel underpowered? What kind of conditions are you towing in? I live in the Southern California area and will be towing in various conditions including some moutain passes.

Thanks!

feitinger

Reaction score
I tow a 3500lbs trailer every two weeks or so, even over mountain passes in Colorado. No sweat! Trailer brakes are a must! My HSE was wired for it already, just bought a brake controller with a Ford connecter.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weight of the trailer is not the problem, the tongue will be. I have looked at trailers for the LR3 obsessivly, and I cannot find a decent size toy hauler that the LR3 can tow at all. It is always the tongue weight that is the limiting factor.

I think you are likely way underestimating that actual weight that the hitch and rear axle will see. Almost every toy hauler made has a tonuge weight of about 45% over the LR3 rated tongue weight. . .empty and dry. . .and with no gear on, near, or gasp, behind the rear axle.

Also keep in mind, most trailer weights are prior to having your options put on as well. That nice A/C, dual 30lb tanks in place of the 20lb, that extra deep cycle battry. . .all adding hundreds of lbs to your trailer, and mostly on the tongue.

I have obsessed on this for years as I am a camping fanatic and have explored all options for toy haulers being towed safely withen the LR3 ratings (or even close to it) and no option really existis. If it is a true toy hauler and camp trailer, you will dangerously exceed the LR3 capability.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Schafari, I assume you are going off of the tongue weight listed in the manual. I have been very frustrated at trying to find a good answer to the actual tongue capacity. 770 seems to make more sense based on the max tow capacity and the stamp on the hitch rec.

Also others have reported towing 6500-7000 lbs. It is difficult to find the truth and get a good answer. I have had two dealers tell me two different things...

I am looking at a 23 ft TT dry weight is 5500 with all the options on it I want. Tongue wieght is 700. With what I want to take with me the weight would not exceed 7000lbs max. Probably would only pull that weight for shorter distance due to filling water and gas close to my destination. If this will not work then I guess I am getting rid of my LR for a toyota....which I would hate to do.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, with toy haulers the LR3 it limited simply because they beef up the frames on the toy haulers and the tongue weight almost always exceeds the LR3 capability. This is just true of toy haulers as you can get a ton of light weight trailers that the LR3 can tow no problem.

A couple of things that are pretty much accecpted. The 770lbs on the hitch itself is not to be used as the LR3 capability. Also, there are reports of some people trying to tow trailers with tongue weights of over 700lbs, and it has not worked. (Specific report of a lady trying to tow a heavy Airstream and the hitch would actually pop out of the reciever)

We also know that you are not supposed to use a WDH, but some have. If you use a WDH it removes the primary LR3 towing limitation which is tongue weight. However, the manual specifically says not to use one. Regardless, this is about the only way you will be able to tow the load you have noted. I would explore the WDH angle prior to dumping the LR3. I would also check with LR themselves, not your dealer. Try to get through the normal call center level one agent, and try to get to an actual LR engineer type.

sonoma_rover

Reaction score
We have a 27' Airstream (7,300 lbs.), which we tow with a 2005 LR4. We have a WDH, sway bars and the trailer has it's own brakes. We have no problem towing this, although you can certainly feel the load climbing over a large mountain range. I typically keep the cruise control set at 55mph and go from there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4