Towing with 2017 Discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towed a 22' Malibu MXZ wakeboard boat 1 hour to dealer and 1 hour back from dealer (on 2 sperate days) averages 15.6mpg (including the 2 trips back and forth without the boat) The boat and trailer and close to 7,000lbs. She tows better than my LR4 with the V8, and get helluva better gas milage towing.

The only thing that is a bit different, is it Revs a bit higher, but the V6 has a higher redline anyway so not much to worry about there.

Would def not go back to and LR4 =)

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful pic. Doesn't seem like the little engine up front should be able to pull that monster in the back!

Cool video, thanks.

I have a 2013 LR4 HSE LUX. Is "Trailer Stability Assist" a standard feature or something you had to pay extra for? My car did not come with the towing package. Not sure if that is something they have to enable so that the truck knows it is towing or something.
It is activated through the menus by your dealer when you buy the tow package. if you did it your self they will charge you to turn it on.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is activated through the menus by your dealer when you buy the tow package. if you did it your self they will charge you to turn it on.
So, I have a hitch.
I was planning on putting the accessory plug on myself (they sell easy to install kits)

Would you recommend getting this turned on so the car knows I have a tow package? I very rarely tow, but like having the capability when needed.

I'm asking because I was looking into this for my wife's Audi, and their forums were saying that once the car knows about the tow package it actually changes the behavior of the transmission and affected shifting/MPG. Even when they weren't towing! Maybe that is something that equals out once the computer learns your driving again (it may reset all the learned configurations)

Agarabaghi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you friendly with your dealer? they might do it for free.

on the lr4 we just installed the harness and went from there.

Gallego

Reaction score
Hi all
This is my first post on this forum, but I am sure that it won't be the last hehehe
I am waiting to receive my 2019 Disco 5 HSE LUX fully loaded in 3 weeks and I still have doubts about what can I tow with it. Currently, I own a Ford Flex rated for maximum towing of 4500 pounds with a max tongue weight of 550, and I tow a 19 ft Airstream that weights 3852 empty and 4500 fully loaded with a tongue weight of 550. Even though my trailer's tongue weight is over the limit, I have been towing without any issues using a Blue Ox weight distribution hitch. Now with a bigger car we would like to upgrade to a 25 that weights 5530 empty/ 7300 full and tongue of 837. Again we would be a bit over the maximum tongue but this time I don't know if we can use the weight distribution hitch because of the air suspension. I've read on this forum someone using a wdh but I don't understand how to use it, since in order to set it up you need to raise the car by using the trailer jack to the maximum (at least the one we have). Could someone bring some light on this issue? On the other hand and before I start getting "compliments", I need to say that I plan to reduce tongue weight by moving the batteries forward and removing one of the gas tanks and using only a smaller tank, also consider we live and tow in flat South Florida....
Thank you all

Gallego

Reaction score
I am not 100% sure if they cover the WDH in this thread, but there is a lot of discussion on towing with the D5 here:

https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread300.html

Thanks, but although I read all 21 pages not a single mention of weight distribution bars. Instead, I learned that in the UK they do not use the 2-inch receiver and that anti-sway is embedded in the trailer as some sort of electronics. Definitely, I need some US knowledge

SKOGSLR3

Reaction score
Hello! We also pull a 19' Airstream with our 2010 LR4. I had no idea you werent suppose to use a WDH with the air suspension. We've been pulling it for a few months no with zero issues. As a matter of fact I've been impressed on how well it pulls. All of my led lights work on the trailer but the trailer light has never showed in the instrument cluster. After reading other threads I realize I need to hook up a 10ohm resistor for the vehicle to recognize the trailer. I guess I'm confused on what all works or doesn't work if the light in the instrument cluster isn't lit. My trailer lights work but do the brakes work on the trailer. In my experience if the trailer brakes weren't working I would really feel it pushing the vehicle all over but it doesn't. It feels great! So, now after reading all these post I'm very hesitant to hook up the WDH and now I need to hook up a resistor. Before this, I was very confident in our set up. LOL

Gpindy

Reaction score
You don't need one . I comfortably towed Kodiak Cub 17BH with full water during our trip to Zion national park recently . My 2016 Range Rover Sport HSE behaved with ease and saw 11 avg mpg .

Gallego

Reaction score
So I can finally share some experience after a few trips with the 2019 Discovery and the Flying cloud 19 Airstream:
After having towed with and without the Blue Ox Sway Pro bars installed, I can say that at least to my feeling, the car tows better without it. Much smother ride, no sway and natural fell. This weekend was really windy and other trailers were suffering down the highway, but we could go 60 mph with no sway. The only thing is that the ball moves more inside the couplers and you fell it when pulling out or braking.
I am sure this combination can pull a much bigger trailer, as a matter of fact you have to be careful when pulling the 19 because it is easy to go over 70, you don't even notice the trailer behind sometimes. Anyhow, we are afraid that in the disgraceful event of an accident being over the factory limits can become a liability issue, and that is something to be consider. We have been towing over the limits with our Flex for 3 years, so no pointing fingers at all on my comment, just thought for those considering it as we did.
We have a 23 on order and we are not going to use the weight distribution hitch, but we might consider some kind of simple anti sway for additional safety.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV