Towing with a '03 Discovery HSE7???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been searching the threads about towing, but haven't found my situation :stupid:, so here it goes....

I have a '03 Discovery HSE7 with SLS and ACE that is rated to tow 5500 lbs.. I want to purchase a travel trailer that is in the 4000 to 4600 lb. unloaded range (keeps me below 5500 lbs. when loaded). Can I tow this safely WITHOUT an equalizing hitch? I called Land Rover and am awaiting for their call back and my local dealer said it would be safe to do it since the Owner's Manual states so... Anyone else have an opinion???

Also, does an equalizing hitch even fit into the towing hitch - it looks like it would be VERY tight?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean a load distribution hitch, then yes I would recommend it, I am sure Land Rover will say no, but then again they don't tow much.

I am sure if you search several of the camper web site you will find heated debates on the use of load distribution hitches and how to use them.

The nice this is you have an 03, so you have the 4.6 liter engine, this will help a lot with towing, the down side is you have a 100 inch wheel base, so don't plan on hauling a very long trailer no matter what the weight. I would recommend anything longer than 20 - 22 feet long or you may still have swaying issues, since the Rover is not that long, unless you don't plan to drive over say 60 mph ever while towing.

The above is just my opinion.

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow boats often, sometimes up to 3 states away and I can tell you that the proper height of the hitch is one of the most important things. I have 3 boats with trailers at different weights and lengths and they all act differently. These are overall comparisons.
My 16' aluminum jet boat weighs around a half ton fully loaded and I have the wheels set back on the trailer pretty far so I can launch it in shallow water, When I got the trailer the wheels were in the proper position and the boat was level on the trailer and the boat pulled nice and straight even at 80+ mph. Now with the tires set back the boat is tipped back and at 50 mph it moves around to the point that I have to compensate the entire trip kinda like driving the boat in the water.
My ski boat fully loaded is a beast. probably close to 4 times the aluminum boat. This tows like a dream. It tracks at any speed but stopping was putting it's toll on the vehicle and I was replacing brakes 4 times a year until I put trailer brakes on it. So if your towing alot of weight get trailer brakes.
As for my little sail boat (like a sun fish sailer) I can pick the entire boat up by myself.
The tongue hangs low so when you hit the brakes you can feel it pull the back of the vehicle down and it skates all over the road at low speeds and pulls straight as an arrow at highway speeds.
So the moral of this story is make sure your vehicle and trailer when connected are level and if your pulling alot of weight put out the extra money for trailer brakes. Oh and remember not to tow alot of weight in overdrive, it could **** your tranny.

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow boats often, sometimes up to 3 states away and I can tell you that the proper height of the hitch is one of the most important things. I have 3 boats with trailers at different weights and lengths and they all act differently. These are overall comparisons.
My 16' aluminum jet boat weighs around a half ton fully loaded and I have the wheels set back on the trailer pretty far so I can launch it in shallow water, When I got the trailer the wheels were in the proper position and the boat was level on the trailer and the boat pulled nice and straight even at 80+ mph. Now with the tires set back the boat is tipped back and at 50 mph it moves around to the point that I have to compensate the entire trip kinda like driving the boat in the water.
My ski boat fully loaded is a beast. probably close to 4 times the aluminum boat. This tows like a dream. It tracks at any speed but stopping was putting it's toll on the vehicle and I was replacing brakes 4 times a year until I put trailer brakes on it. So if your towing alot of weight get trailer brakes.
As for my little sail boat (like a sun fish sailer) I can pick the entire boat up by myself.
The tongue hangs low so when you hit the brakes you can feel it pull the back of the vehicle down and it skates all over the road at low speeds and pulls straight as an arrow at highway speeds.
So the moral of this story is make sure your vehicle and trailer when connected are level and if your pulling alot of weight put out the extra money for trailer brakes. Oh and remember not to tow alot of weight in overdrive, it could **** your tranny.

Are you using a weight distribution hitch for any of the heavy towing? What is the maximum length you have towed?

I am also concerned about the ball mount... As stated in the Owner's Manual, the ball mount should not be more that 8 inches long, from pin hole to center of the ball shaft... Is this absolute, or can I deviate from this??? Of course, the dealer says not to go any longer, but will I have enough clearance with a 8 inch ball mount... This then raises the question of whether or not a weight distribution hitch will fit in that area....

The travel trailer I am looking at has electric brakes and I am now looking into getting the Land Rover trailer harness and a brake controller...

Thanks,
Jonathan

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I am not using a distribution hitch. I am using a receiver extension though. The stock set up was to close to the bumper and the spare interfered with the winch tower on the trailer and turning radius suffered.
I'm not sure of the length but I think it is 2" over stock.

What you might want to do is take your vehicle to an RV dealer and see what they think.
Just tell them that your thinking about buying a travel trailer but your unsure of your vehicle. It won't cost you a dime and then you have a pros thought on the matter.
Pulling a trailer is stress enough, why be unsure. jmo of coarse.

My boat is 22' so with the rest of the trailer it's roughly 25-26' with the overhang of the boat.

How big is this thing? Is it a tandem axle or just one set of wheels? Tandem will make a noticeable difference too. Joe

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I am not using a distribution hitch. I am using a receiver extension though. The stock set up was to close to the bumper and the spare interfered with the winch tower on the trailer and turning radius suffered.
I'm not sure of the length but I think it is 2" over stock.

What you might want to do is take your vehicle to an RV dealer and see what they think.
Just tell them that your thinking about buying a travel trailer but your unsure of your vehicle. It won't cost you a dime and then you have a pros thought on the matter.
Pulling a trailer is stress enough, why be unsure. jmo of coarse.

My boat is 22' so with the rest of the trailer it's roughly 25-26' with the overhang of the boat.

How big is this thing? Is it a tandem axle or just one set of wheels? Tandem will make a noticeable difference too. Joe

That's the same length of trailer I am looking at... Makes me feel better that someone has done this length before.... and it will have brakes and tandem axle...

I am concerned about the use of an extension or a longer ball mount since the Owner's Manual states not to use on longer than 8"... Am I worried for nothing since you have used an extension?

I have talked to several "trailer experts" and they have all agreed not to go against the Manufacturer's recommendations... Even the RV dealers I have talked to have backed off their weight distribution hitch recommendation when I told them that Land Rover does not recommend that type of hitch...

Last edited:

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am at about 4000lbs + or - with no problems. except for gas mi. hehehehe.
Good luck with your camper I'm sure you will have fun with it. Joe

jmrivera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what Land Rover North America said in response to my questions about towing with my Disco'...

What does everyone think???

Jonathan
------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, April 25, 2008 8:33 AM

Subject : Re: Accessories <<#274966-1079289#>>

Dear Jonathan Rivera,

Thank you for contacting the Land Rover Customer Relationship Center.

I regret that I cannot confidently respond to your question as we are not a technical facility. All technical questions, advice and recommendations are handled through our authorized retailer network. For the appropriate information, please consult your local Land Rover retailer. Either a parts or service guide will be able to assist with this question or refer you to the appropriate individual. You can locate your closest retailer with your zip code on our website, www.LandRover.com, under the "locate a retailer" tab.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Heather Baez
Land Rover North America

If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-637-6837, option 9, or by e-mail.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:09 AM

Subject : Accessories

Other
Last Name: Rivera
First Name: Jonathan
Last 8 characters of VIN: 3A799654
ZIP Code: 87123

Hello,

I have a '03 Discovery HSE7 and want to tow a travel trailer with electric brakes that weighs approximately 5200lbs.. I was reading in the Owner's Manual and it states the following:

'An equalizing or other form of weight distributing hitch should NOT be used with your vehicle.'

I would like to understand exactly why this is not recommended. Is it because the weight distribution hitch adds extra tongue weight, is it the SLS system, the ACE system, the shorter wheelbase of the vehicle, or has Land Rover just never tested the use of the weight distribution hitch?

Since it is recommended that a weight distribution hitch not be used, does Land Rover have a maximum trailer length (with brakes) recommendation for the Discovery, since it has a shorter wheelbase?

Thank you for your assistance.

Jonathan
-----------------------------------------------------------

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some research on the distribution hitch. I see why they don't recommend this rigging method. It's the way the Discovery hitch connects to the vehicle. The distribution system adds backwards stress to the hitch especially over bumps and rough roads so your tongue weight gets reduced when adding this system but no one says by how much. They want a minimum of class3 and IMO class3 with 550lb tongue is class3 with 550lb tongue. Most of what I have read was that the majority of people wouldn't even consider pulling a heavy trailer without a "WD" hitch with there vehicles. I may consider one, but the heavy boat pulls great with the rig I have now. It's the small trailer I'm having problems with and I don't think they have the weight I need for the "WD hitch". I think I would try pulling it with just the SLS before I got a distribution hitch, personally. Tandem axle, brakes, SLS, I think you will be fine with that and if not then you have another avenue to pursue. GL, Joe

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If nothing else, due to the short wheel base of the Rover, consider getting a sway control system... you will thank me later.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4