Transmission concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious as I am having similar issues. Already did the fluid, pan, and filter swap to minimal improvement. Changed out lower control arm bushings with Polybush. Shudder actually seems a bit worse (assuming due to firmness of new bushings). On inspection, upper bushings also look to need update. Bearing assembly seems ok without any play.

Going to take a stab with upper bushings but if anyone has identified the cause and can save me a bit of work, I’d much appreciate any input! If bushings don’t fix this issue, next will do bearing assemblies (they are relatively inexpensive).

Also, forgot to mention, in addition to shudder, I get a rhythmic vibration at 35-80mph that occurs under load/on climbs. On coast no vibration experienced.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a shot driveshaft, but I've never heard of any driveshaft problems on an LR4.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a shot driveshaft, but I've never heard of any driveshaft problems on an LR4.
Thanks! I thought about that too, so I changed out the passenger side driveshaft to no avail. No apparent cracks or play but seemed to be the side with the vibration. Bearings swapped, no change/improvement. I’ve got upper bushings and ball joints. Those are next. Literally just throwing parts at the front end. Fingers crossed I don’t need a new transmission. On the bright side, no transmission faults. It feels like it’s in the front end.

Has anyone ever heard of the differentials going bad on these? Did a fluid swap and it was clear but wondering if there’s possibly a bad bearing...

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of bad front diffs but it'd not very common on the LR4. It's fairly common in the 3. Tires can do a lot of weird things, are you sure it's not the rubber causing the vibration?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I thought about that too, so I changed out the passenger side driveshaft to no avail. No apparent cracks or play but seemed to be the side with the vibration. Bearings swapped, no change/improvement. I’ve got upper bushings and ball joints. Those are next. Literally just throwing parts at the front end. Fingers crossed I don’t need a new transmission. On the bright side, no transmission faults. It feels like it’s in the front end.

Has anyone ever heard of the differentials going bad on these? Did a fluid swap and it was clear but wondering if there’s possibly a bad bearing...

There's no such thing as a "passenger side" driveshaft. The driveshaft connects the center differential with the front differential or the rear differential. You therefore have a front and a rear driveshaft.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a "passenger side" driveshaft. The driveshaft connects the center differential with the front differential or the rear differential. You therefore have a front and a rear driveshaft.
Sorry, mistype. Passenger side half-shaft. Did it myself so I know it exists

Pretty sure it’s not the tires. I’ve rotated them-vibration still present and the vibration is not in sync with tire spin. Only time I get vibration is on climbs or moderate acceleration. Coasting-no vibration present.

Starting to revisit transmission as cause. Previous owner went to 115k without trans service. Truck had begun to slightly shudder before I bought it (and has not seemed to get any worse) I’ve dropped and installed new pan which did not correct. Unfortunately I didn’t think (or do enough research) to service the sleeves while in there (ten additional screws and about $30 for the sleeves).

Vibration is coming from front end...so far this is what I’ve replaced. My mind seems to be playing tricks on me. Shudder seems to move from side to side. Sometimes I think it’s coming from drivers side, sometimes from passenger side.

Lower control arm bushings
Front hub assemblies
Passenger side half shaft
Upper ball joints
Differential service (fluid was clear)
Transmission service (fluid was clear and no shavings in pan, debris consistent with 115k on the clock)
Multiple alignments (Firestone has a lifetime alignment so every time I put on new suspension components, it gets one done for free )

I have lower ball joints (awaiting install)
Upper control arm bushings (awaiting install)

I’m going to try some snake oil in the tranny to see if any noticeable difference. Lubegard is what everything points to, and what I have in mind to try. Before you hate on me, I know it’s a bandaid, but at least might help me identify the cause. It’s $12 and lots of documented success in the zf transmission. If it ends up correcting the shudder, I’m gonna go back into the transmission and pull the Mechatronic unit and replace sleeves/gasket. As of now, no fault codes, but may also replace all solenoids while in there for an additional $300.

Love this truck and not ready to give up on her yet. Fingers crossed. If anyone has any other ideas, I’m game! Let me know.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of bad front diffs but it'd not very common on the LR4. It's fairly common in the 3. Tires can do a lot of weird things, are you sure it's not the rubber causing the vibration?
Thank you...I don’t wholly suspect it, just trying to rule out all possible causes. I did a fluid service and all was clear...usually water intrusion was the cause of failure in the LR3 correct?

I saw a post regarding front end vibration in an lr4 due to a bad bearing in the front diff. I have no idea how one would diagnose the differential.

This one is tough to diagnose because of all the possible causes.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna go back into the transmission and pull the Mechatronic unit and replace sleeves/gasket.

What sleeve/Gasket are you reffering to ?

About your Vibration issues, have you checked all the mounts ? Engine mount and Tranny mount ? one of them might be broken. Also folks on this forum have talked about some sort of weight that LR dealer sells that you bolt on the tranny to reduce vibrations. Does your tranny have that weight thingy already ? if not why not try that first.. there is a TSB on that.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What sleeve/Gasket are you reffering to ?

About your Vibration issues, have you checked all the mounts ? Engine mount and Tranny mount ? one of them might be broken. Also folks on this forum have talked about some sort of weight that LR dealer sells that you bolt on the tranny to reduce vibrations. Does your tranny have that weight thingy already ? if not why not try that first.. there is a TSB on that.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between the Mechatronic unit and the transmission are four sleeves and a gasket that wear over time. Looks like a very straightforward job if you follow the procedure. Doing a pan/filter swap make the additional step worth pulling the Mechatronic unit and replacing sleeves. Having done the pan/filter swap job, it’s not one that I’d like to do again.

To follow up on the transmission issue, I really had to think long and hard about adding the Lubegard to the transmission. There’s tons of documentation about use in the zf trans. I went for it...and it helped significantly. Not totally resolved, but about 90% there. So, the chatter in the front ended up being transmission related I believe.

Next, fluid swap is coming (again, sigh) and so are the sleeves and gasket. Will update on the permanent fix. Lubegard after this experience will be added as I’ve had similar results as the amazon reviews. Not sure about it as a long term fix, but definitely a benefit and much smoother all around on the transmission. I think I spent $7 a tube (2 tubes) and worth every penny.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA