Transmission concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between the Mechatronic unit and the transmission are four sleeves and a gasket that wear over time. Looks like a very straightforward job if you follow the procedure. Doing a pan/filter swap make the additional step worth pulling the Mechatronic unit and replacing sleeves. Having done the pan/filter swap job, it’s not one that I’d like to do again.

To follow up on the transmission issue, I really had to think long and hard about adding the Lubegard to the transmission. There’s tons of documentation about use in the zf trans. I went for it...and it helped significantly. Not totally resolved, but about 90% there. So, the chatter in the front ended up being transmission related I believe.

Next, fluid swap is coming (again, sigh) and so are the sleeves and gasket. Will update on the permanent fix. Lubegard after this experience will be added as I’ve had similar results as the amazon reviews. Not sure about it as a long term fix, but definitely a benefit and much smoother all around on the transmission. I think I spent $7 a tube (2 tubes) and worth every penny.

Update...have now driven an additional 50 miles (80 total) and it seems the trans is learning the new fluid properties (or the fluid is doing some voodoo magic). Now the shudder and rpm fluctuations during shudder are completely gone. Beyond relieved.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...have now driven an additional 50 miles (80 total) and it seems the trans is learning the new fluid properties (or the fluid is doing some voodoo magic). Now the shudder and rpm fluctuations during shudder are completely gone. Beyond relieved.

The Lubegard definitely helped but shudder resurfaced and decided to go ahead and pull the mechatronic unit from the trans (a relatively easy job) 2 on a scale of 1-5. Inserted new bridge gasket and four sleeves/seals that bridge to transmission. Also, did solenoids. When I drained the fluid it was nasty! I just changed it 3000ish miles ago and it was filthy.

I’m back on the road now and pleased to report, shudder is 100% gone after doing a adaptations reset, new solenoids, new fluid, and new mechatronic bridge/seals. Transmission feels to shift like new. Much crisper, no harsh shifts, and most importantly no more shudder/vibration on inclines. Total job cost me about $300 and very happy with the end result.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain I'm not wanting to get back under the transmission. I was coated after I did mine.

I did the mechatronic sleeves and bridges as well. Not the solenoids though, as I wasn't experiencing any issues.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain I'm not wanting to get back under the transmission. I was coated after I did mine.

I did the mechatronic sleeves and bridges as well. Not the solenoids though, as I wasn't experiencing any issues.
Haha. Me too. Not as bad as when I did the pan swap, but it’s a pretty dirty job. Are you doing solenoids now? They are very easy. Just 12 more T-27 screws and they pop right out... I figured while in there, this is not something I want to repeat a 3rd time. My solenoids were behaving, but with 117k on the clock, likelihood of failure in the near future.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha. Me too. Not as bad as when I did the pan swap, but it’s a pretty dirty job. Are you doing solenoids now? They are very easy. Just 12 more T-27 screws and they pop right out... I figured while in there, this is not something I want to repeat a 3rd time. My solenoids were behaving, but with 117k on the clock, likelihood of failure in the near future.

I thought long and hard about doing the solenoids, but after reading of people having issues after doing an adaptation reset, I elected not to since I wasn't experiencing any issues.

If something cropped up, I would give changing them a try.

I am planning on swapping the fluid again after a couple thousand miles since it is not possible to get all of the old fluid out. Hopefully that will be a little cleaner since the pan doesn't need to come off.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought long and hard about doing the solenoids, but after reading of people having issues after doing an adaptation reset, I elected not to since I wasn't experiencing any issues.

If something cropped up, I would give changing them a try.

I am planning on swapping the fluid again after a couple thousand miles since it is not possible to get all of the old fluid out. Hopefully that will be a little cleaner since the pan doesn't need to come off.

Sounds good. My adaptations reset was a non-event. There was a bit of slight shudder prior to reset as it was using old pressure values. I got on highway and did cycles of acceleration and coasting down to a slow crawl and all is working perfectly.

I will say, if you don’t have a mighty-vac, it’s well worth the investment of a $100. I did my first pan swap with a hand pump and fluid was everywhere. With the mighty-vac I had no spills or leaks. Night and day difference.

The new metal pan that I bought has a very high lip on the drain plug, this kept about 2 quarts +/- in the bottom of the pan. Might vac might be helpful in sucking some of the remaining fluid out as well. I would definitely try to get as much of the residual oil in the pan out too, if you have the same pan as I do. I got the metal pan from AB with separate filter.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Mighty Vac, but use it for oil changes. How do you guys clean out your Might Vacs between jobs?

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Lubegard definitely helped but shudder resurfaced and decided to go ahead and pull the mechatronic unit from the trans (a relatively easy job) 2 on a scale of 1-5. Inserted new bridge gasket and four sleeves/seals that bridge to transmission. Also, did solenoids. When I drained the fluid it was nasty! I just changed it 3000ish miles ago and it was filthy.

I’m back on the road now and pleased to report, shudder is 100% gone after doing a adaptations reset, new solenoids, new fluid, and new mechatronic bridge/seals. Transmission feels to shift like new. Much crisper, no harsh shifts, and most importantly no more shudder/vibration on inclines. Total job cost me about $300 and very happy with the end result.

Where did you get the parts from , bridge gasket, Sleeves/Seal and most especially the solenoids ? I'm thinking of doing this service sometime during the summer.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. My adaptations reset was a non-event. There was a bit of slight shudder prior to reset as it was using old pressure values. I got on highway and did cycles of acceleration and coasting down to a slow crawl and all is working perfectly.

I will say, if you don’t have a mighty-vac, it’s well worth the investment of a $100. I did my first pan swap with a hand pump and fluid was everywhere. With the mighty-vac I had no spills or leaks. Night and day difference.

The new metal pan that I bought has a very high lip on the drain plug, this kept about 2 quarts +/- in the bottom of the pan. Might vac might be helpful in sucking some of the remaining fluid out as well. I would definitely try to get as much of the residual oil in the pan out too, if you have the same pan as I do. I got the metal pan from AB with separate filter.

I noticed that "lip" on the pan as well, and had the same thought.

I do have a Mityvac, so sucking it out is the plan for the next fluid change. I must have had too many beers before I started because it didn't occur to me to use it for the pan swap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi