Transmission Fault / Rear Diff - Serive Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ia2far

Reaction score
I have an '06 LR3, about 70k miles.
Recently, my 'warning' lights have been acting up.
I generally go to a local independent guy who does great. But.... he really focuses on older LR and sent my LR3 to the dealer.
After a few days, turns out I need a rear diff.
(NOTE, I have been reading over the other threads and this seems to be in line with a few others: http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=3008&highlight=rear+differential&page=2)

So, on to my question. Is this $2000 fix on me since I'm at 70k miles? It does seem to be known issue with manufacturing.

I thought that it would be good to reach out to others and before going back to the dealer. It would sure be nice to get a new set of rims rather than buying a new rear diff....

Thanks,
-nick

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please let us know what you find out. I was under the understanding that this specific problem had to do only with the locking rear diffs and that it was corrected in late '05 or early '06.

Do you have the HD package? Is your '06 an early build? ...and I mean really early build.

ia2far

Reaction score
Well, I don't have the final info.
It is now in shop. The rear diff has arrived.
I'm concerned that once it gets installed, they will continue with testing and come up with something else.
It is painful to drive the thing w/o air suspension. For some reason it stopped working as well.

I have not found any good way to get it covered. It is a bummer to have a known issue cost $2000.

I had a typo - it is an '05.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does yours have the HD package with the locking rear Diff?

ia2far

Reaction score
A little update, should anyone be following.
I got to say, that my 'love' for the LR3 is really dropping off.
They put in the rear diff, put it back together.
Then, turns out, the air compressor needs replaced.
Installed a new compressor, put it back together.
Now, it turns out, the ECU (as related to the suspension) and compressor is out.

While not extremely versed at mechanics. I find it VERY hard to believe that all three of these things failed within a week of each other. I haven't got the total bill yet, but my quote of $2000 at the start of this is will be well under half of what they are going to charge me.

Regarding the HD question, it does not.

ia2far

Reaction score
I live in Portland, OR - so, Land Rover Portland.
I generally go to the local independent - but he had me go to the dealer to read some of the codes.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also live in PDX. Which local indy do you go to? I think we have at lease 5 here in town.
Ryan

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are 5 indy's in PDX area? Do tell please as my LR3 is off warranty. The only one I know of is Columbia Rovers.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only know names and I'm not speaking for the Quality of there work....
Columbia Rovers
PDX Rovers - Just west of 7th & North of Division (Same Building as J&M Autobody)
Green Oval Motors - 9th & Morrison
Ships Mechanical - 138th & Whitiker Way???
The Jag Shop - Bunside near 50th??

Ryan - 05 LR3SEV8

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99