Transmission oil leak........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So obvs 2 days before leaving on a 6k km road trip I notice what appears to be a tranny fluid leak. The leak appears to be coming from beyond the front of the pan. The lower section of the gearbox housing appears damp. The fluid is moving backwards resulting in the front half of the pan being wet. Wondering about source of leak?
I had the upgraded pan and fluid replaced ~ 40k km ago. Currently at 165 k km.
Is there a quick and easy way to check fluid level? Remove filler plug and top up?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission valve body sleeve is known to leak after a while. Not sure where that is in relation to your leak, but it could be the culprit.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20220813_112526.jpg
20220813_112257.jpg

The transmission valve body sleeve is known to leak after a while. Not sure where that is in relation to your leak, but it could be the culprit.
And I gave the garage a new one of those to replace when they did the pan and they did not fit it! However not clear if that is the culprit. Will check level and top up if needed until I can get it into garage.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HATE LR4's!
Put it up on axle stands with the body level and very slowly unscrewed the fill plug to check the level. Suddenly fluid comes gushing out!! ??? Probably lost a cup or so of fluid. Panicked replacement of plug. Plan B is take fluid with me and if any weirdness from gearbox I will go to a garage during our trip to let them check it.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I read an LR3 transmisison fluid posting and the guy referenced that you need to have the engine running when checking the transmission fluid level or it will gush out when you unscrew the plug:

"1. Don't be an idiot like I was, don't accidentally unscrew the filler plug all the way until the engine is running. Just loosen it a couple turns. Undoing it completely while the engine is off will result in a large amount of fluid spilling out as the transmission takes up a fair bit when it is running. Plug is a T50 torx." https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/advice-checking-transmission-fluid-level-81408/

Maybe that's what happened to me?"

Here's a link to a fluid check procedure for LR's, not sure if applicable to 2010 LR4 though?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you watch the Atlantic British video on oil pan replacement they go over the fill routine, which is done with the tranny up to temperature and engine running. It's one significant reason I had the job done at a shop: the idea of being on my back underneath the car while it's running, on jack stands, and having to get fluid up to the fill port next to a hot catalytic converter is not my idea of fun.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats for LR3. Same procedure for LR4?
I am thinking yes.
Agreed re. iffy on jack stands. I have two sets of 10inch high ramps. Can get it nicely off the ground using all four. Doesn't help with burns from cat though :(
No time to take it to my mechanic before trip

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that was a doddle!
Kept an eye on temp using a BBQ thermometer on the outside of the pan. No risk of cat burns using a socket extension. Added a litter, of which 500ml or so probably leaked when I messed with it yesterday. Did not have new filler plug, but have booked it into get the leak checked after our trip.
Moral of the story......... CHECK THE MANUAL FOR EVEN MUNDANE MAINTENANCE WORK FIRST!
Thanks for the help guys!

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can warm the new fluid before you put it in the transmission as well. It lessens the time you need to run the engine for. The temp stipulation is only there because of the coefficient of expansion of the fluid to get the correct working level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72