Truly "Happy" Disco owners- let me know if you exist!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flash Cook

Reaction score
Did you Buy?

If you hadn't already bought one, I will try my best to encourage you too. I just bought an 04 Disco SE7 and I love it. I bought an extended warranty. I also had a few rare things happen during my short ownership that I would love to share. Basically, if the thing doesn't show a wreck and it's less than $10k. Buy it.

Jon G
AZ
04 Disco SE7

damnskippy

Reaction score
Hi Flash Cook, No I've not yet purchased an '04 but would love to hear what you have to share about your experiences and also the extended warranty you decided on. Thanks!

floridarover

Reaction score
I have a Disco I and absolutely love it. Could I buy a different four wheel drive vehicle? Sure, but what fun would that be. LR's are the best off road vehicles made in my opinion. I have had to do some work to my Disco, but the previous owner took very good care of it. However, I love to turn a wrench and have the satisfaction that I fixed a problem. Because this is my first experience with owning a LR I am learning on the curve the "in's and out's" of different issues that arise. To me that is part of the fun of owning the best 4X4XFar. The real difference for me was when a local shop did not charge me a dime to tell me what the problem was on my rover and then gave me the parts to fix it, just because he had extra's at the shop. WOW. He said that owning a LR is a family thing and we and we should take care of our family. I have never experienced that with any other vehicle that I have owned.

broadshore

Reaction score
I have a 94 Land Rover that I won in a Ebay Auction from a actually Auction House in LA. I was happy for less then 2 years of owning this Land Rover. Until the Oil Pump took a pooper and then the engine. After 15,000 dollars including R20 Cam and other cool nifty stuff in my Land Rover I am still having problems. So yeh, I'm not to happy with my Landy right now.

Flash Cook

Reaction score
Things to consider

If you know how to work on a Rover; Buy It.
If the delivery date of the vehicle you are interested still holds manufacturer warranty; buy it but get an extended warranty - not through Rover - unless you have the funds to pay their rediculous price.
If you buy and it still has manufacturer warranty, drive it trying your best to knock everything you can non harmfully off. Rover dealer will replace "everything" including trim pieces "assuming they haven't been knocked off due to abusiveness". They'll even replace or fix a torn seat. You name it, if it's under original warranty, it'll be fixed without cost, that is all things except wear items like brakes.
I've already had over $3,000 of replaced parts on my disco. My warranty just ended and I purchased an extended warranty through Royal Administrative. Try to buy your warranty before your manufacturer warranty expires, you will get a better warranty and a better price.
Keep in mind Rovers will have problems. An 04 is my choice vehicle, it's the last of a series and it's most likely to have all the kinks worked out. If you test drive and feel there is something not right, don't buy it. Or hire someone to look at it for you and offer to pay them $60 - $100 for an honest answer wheather they would buy it. They could also tell you what's wrong with it and how much your going to be putting into it to make it like new again. I had to replace my front drive shaft as the person I had look at it found that the front u-joints where loose. Rover replaced free of charge.
Put it this way, if you can find a reputable person who can work on Rover's that is charging $90 or less and hour and you can afford that kind of work and you have a warranty for major cost items, I would buy. This thing is different than the LR3, it's a tank. If you can afford $100 gas tanks everytime and the other costs, buy it and enjoy it. What a fantastic vehicle. There is nothing, abosolutely nothing like it on or off the road. If your excited to just get off-road and can't afford the cadillac ride of a Rover, buy a cheap Jeep.
Warranty - anything is better than nothing. There's a company called continental warranty that is pretty good. They all pretty much offer a warranty through Royal Administrative utilizing Lyndon Insurance as a back meaning you will always have funds in your warranty as long as the three business don't go out of business. These businesses have been around for over 20 years so they are whom I've went with. It cost me about $2500 and I've got a payment plan with zero interest for 18 months with the plan inaffect after 30 days and 1k miles. Research warranty companies utilizing the BBB. Don't look at things like rip-off report.com as anyone can post anything to that site making it non-reputable. My out of pocket visits are $100 and eveything on thwe warranty (which is alot) is covered free of charge. MAKE SURE THAT THE PLACE YOU HAVE YOUR SERVICE DONE ACCEPTES YOUR WARRANTY. In fact, have them look at the warranty and see if it's worth it. The guys in service told me it would be tough for me to personally out of pocket spend more than $2500 on parts and service in 5 years or less (the length of the warranty). For comfort reasons and piece of mind, and a lolt of research, I bought it. Again, it's getting late to buy an 04 with a warranty. Buy Buy Buy - or Don't. your choice... Or lease a New LR3 with a manufacturer warranty and don;t worry about it. I'd go disco, in fact, I went Disco...and it's great!

98GRDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main reason i believe so many are at auction now a days is do to the fact the they don't get the best gas milage but if you purchase it know this then there will be no problem i love my 98 Disco.

DiscoCoveII

Reaction score
well i love land rovers every single one ever made i could see my self driving, but i think the key to buying a rover is WHO you buy it from not what you buy, because in my oppion all models are sweet, but ill tell you my story and i hope it helps.

I bought my 2000 DII (centre edition) <== whatever that means..... from a used car dealer in oklahoma, which who had bought it at the auto auction here in town for god knows how little of money.. i was looking at a 2001 DII at the BMW JEEP dealer here in town but it had to many miles and had an oil leak and about half of the buttons were missing inside.....so i went back to the used guy whos name is mauz something...... very shaddy guy....and i test drove it and i just couldnt get over how awesome it drove, so i went back and got it... 5 days YES 5days later CRACKED BLOCK blown head gasket and shot radiator..... so i called him and we had some words but he agreed to fix it so i wouldnt turn him in for selling me a lemon, he put a used DII motor in it that had less miles on it and i havent had any problems with it untill last week when i found out i needed to put in a shuttle valve repair kit which is like 70 bucks parts...... anyways i love my disco. and am gunna drive it untill it just wont go any further.....off roading is awesome on road not as good but still pretty awesome......you gotta work on them sometimes but they are well worth your effort.......

plus the 04's have some cool lil upgrades that the 2002's dont like the head lights and stuff

good luck hope this helps

polar

Reaction score
When I was shopping for my LR,I was told they are 50-50 vehicles.
meaning you have a 50% chance on getting a good one and 50% Chance on getting a bad one.

I ask my mechanic of 10 years what he thought and he said i was crazy and i should just keep the Mitsubishi I had.I told him about the 50-50 rule and offered that if and when I did make the purchase he might be able to get that Boat he has been wanting this next summer.

I made the purchase and it has only been a couple months, I myself have always wanted a LR and like you have not wanted or been able to justify the 25K-40K price tag. LR are really priced well right now and I am and was willing to take the plunge.
Only time will tell if I purchased a good LR or a bad one.Life is short, as long as you are able to deal with the Minor or major issues with the Rover you plan on purchasing give it a try you might not get another opertunity to do so. I would recomend buying an extended Warranty I did and feel like I did what I could to protect my purchase.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM