tv through nav, anyone try this yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking to put a dvd/car pc setup in through my nav screen and a screen in the back. has anyone tried this company. they claim to be all plug and play with no cutting or splicing. havent heard much about nav mods on the forum but figured it was worth a shot.

TVandNAV2go

As usual, it would be too much to ask for pricing, instructions on the site.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's pretty cool! from the look of the image below, they have this working on the LR3 w/o the menu buttons that were displayed in an earlier hack mentioned on this website (search for it). be interested to hear how they do this!

rr2.jpg

i assume the LR3 must know nothing about it and they just run into the video lines directly as opposed to the aux connector mentioned a while back. (if you haven't seen it, it isn't an ideal solution).

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are just two 'real' solutions... Tricking the system with a fake Land Rover TV tuner option (Nav-TV module) so you can use the rear input outside of diag mode. Or trying to bypass the system entirely and feeding the screen directly (likely via the GVIF interface) with a hard switch...

I didn't spend much time with that mess of a site, but I didn't even see textual references to the LR3...

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a pretty crappy site. im gonna get some info from them and post the results. from what i read its a pretty sweet setup. no cutting or hacking makes it a dealer friendly option which is worth it to me. id probably do the camera option also mostly just because its available. havent found anther site in the states at least with anything comparable. just have to wait and see if they check out.

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please note at the current time there is NO solution for the 2005.

Hmmm, I wasn't aware that there were any differences between the 2005 and newer. . .?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reference is likely for Range Rover, which used a BMW system before that... and should probably say "2005+"

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just spoke to the shop. they were pretty familiar with the LR3. basically it is a full plug and play unit. no cutting or splicing necessary. installation is basically unplugging the blue (nav-dvd) cable from the back of the NAV screen, and plugging their unit in as a T. They claim totally dealer friendly and does not require any splicing of the orginal Nav system. It seems you control the screen with their box probably via switch or remote. He made sure that my DVD drive was under the driver seat. (maybe thats the difference between 05 and the rest)

$450
3 video inputs
2 audio inputs (they correspond with the video selector)

back up camera $195

doesnt seem too bad. you can call yourself. just be ready to talk fast and decode NYC accent.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound bad for what you get.

The only thing that does sound bad is the NYC shop that you had to speak with. I have had nothing but awful experiences buying cameras and other gear from those places. If you actually get shipped the funcitonality you expect, you'll do fine. If you have any issues whatsover or need to return it, you're on your own.

Anyway, if you do buy it, let us know how it turns out!

broiler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He made sure that my DVD drive was under the driver seat. (maybe thats the difference between 05 and the rest)

I'm actually quite interested in this, mostly for a backup camera. I have a 2005, is the DVD drive in a different location? (sorry, new car for me, haven't looked yet)

Also, how would you wire the camera, or is it wireless?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he didnt ask me for the year, just the location of where the dvd-nav was. the camera would be wired, which is not a big deal to me. you would have to wire it up to the reverse lights so it turned on when you were in reverse. i think you can set the screen to automatically switch to that output when triggered. im only about an hour and a half from NYC and like to go there once in a while with the lady. maybe ill swing up and check it out first hand.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge