Upgraded the brush lights on my LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dugn8r

Reaction score
I just got a 2005 silver LR3 SE with the winch package, brush guard/lights and a roof rack.

I hated the cheap front brush lights and decided to replace them with something more of Land Rover's caliber. HID off-road lights would look good because they match the Rover's HID lights. THey would be bright as hell, too.

Luckily, I am a distributor for an off-road light manufacturer and have access to really awesome off-road HID lights. The only problem is, the lights that come are specially made and have a special mounting system. THis would have to go. I machined two T6061 aluminum brackets that take the place of the factory one. Here is that they look like:
mount.JPG

After machining, I attached the mount to the light and then attached the mount/light to the brush guard. I cut the wires from the existing lights and connedted my HID lights directly to the old wires. BEcause these lights have integrated balasts, I did not have to worry about additional wiring. Also, because these are HID lights, they only draw 35 watts of power, far less than what was on there in the first place.

Now... people always ask, if they draw far less power, how are they 5 times brighter than a Halogen off-road light? because of a few reasons. First, HID does not waste as much energy as a filiment light does. You can rest your hand on one of these and they are only mildly warm. Also, The light spectrum is exact and does not waste a lot of light in frequencies that are either not desired or that you cannot see (infrared, for instance).

Anyways, I've never actually used these before. They typically go on Baja race trucks and are about $500+ each (msrp). That being said, I took a trip to the mountains of North Carolina. Coming up to a curve on the edge of a mountain, these lights would illuminate across the valley and you could see the trees on the other side. It was truly spectacular! And these are not the long eange pencil beams - they are the Euro beam pattern and light up the sides of the road very well.

I plan on getting rid of the goofy front cover that is on my roof rack and mounting four more of these bad boys. I was thinking I would probably do two more euro beams and two pencil beams. I had thought about one of the flood beams as well, but I think the Euros do awesome at that. Anyonw know what that cover is for? I was thinking probably to reduce wind noise. I would have to machine mounts, too.

Here is a photo - keep in mind that I have special gasketed clear plastic covers over the lights that act as protection from rocks and such. I am big on this because after a Baja race, these things are completely sand blasted and have dents from the other trucks. Once you take them off, you have brand new lights and just put on new covers. FOr the cost of these lights, you would be foolish not to use them (I think they are $20 each... that may be my proce or that may be msrp... I don't really pay attention because I don't usually sell to the retail market... just race companies and such).

IMG_1259.JPG

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should sell these !!!

HID would be awesome for off-road lights, I agree. ...I wouldn't say the same for use as fog lights, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I have the LR off-road lights. ....how hard would it be to swap with these HIDs? I read your post but couldn't tell the level of difficulty of this instal. How would you rate it?

Dugn8r

Reaction score
You should sell these !!!

HID would be awesome for off-road lights, I agree. ...I wouldn't say the same for use as fog lights, but that's not what we're talking about here.

I have the LR off-road lights. ....how hard would it be to swap with these HIDs? I read your post but couldn't tell the level of difficulty of this instal. How would you rate it?

They are incredibly easy to install. As far as wiring, wach light has two wires. These wires need to be spliced into the old harness with butt connectors. As far as mounting, if you can turn a wrench and screwdriver, you can remove the old ones and put these on. It took me one hour, and that includes creating a design and machining the brackets. Here would be the install steps:

1 - Make sure the vehicle and lights are off. Cut factory wires about 2" from existing lights
2 - using phillips screwdriver, unscrew two bolts on each braket. Slide off old lights.
3 - Using a 13mm socket, undo four bolts that hold on brush guard. Remove brush guard.
4 - Using same 13mm socket, remove two bolts holding on plastic hood clips (don't know the exact name, but they are at the bottom of the top verticle guard rail.)
5 - Attach light to bracket.
6 - use longer bolts and attach brackets through the plastic hood clips listed in step 4 and into the top verticle guard
7 - Strip cut wires about 1/4 inch. There are a total of four - two per light. Crimp on blue Butt Connectors (14-16 guage) to these exposed wires.
8 - Using the lighting harness supplied with the lights, insert them into the other end of the butt connector and crimp them. Black goes to black and red goes to green.
9 - Use shrink tubing for a clean look. Tuck the wires into the opening in the grill.

AND

10 - use these well. Don't look into them to see how bright they are... I did that in the middle of the day and had a heacache and saw spotts for two. It would be like welding without the mask... not a great idea. And if you light someone up on the road at night... you could potentially cause a crash because these will blind them. Two of these are brighter than 6 Hella 4000 lights.

I will try to get night photos to post... I need to be able to set my camera to manual. If can do that, I will get night pics for you so you can see how these things do!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool...but you never mentioned how to get the lights and brackets and how much they'd cost. You say $20 up top, but how can we check that?

Thanks !

Dugn8r

Reaction score
Cool...but you never mentioned how to get the lights and brackets and how much they'd cost. You say $20 up top, but how can we check that?

Thanks !

Oh yeah - well, I don't really know what the brackets would cost to produce, because I just machined the prototype. I will know tomorrow, though... so I'll figure it out guickly.

I don't sell retail, but the moderator, being infinitely wise and wanting to be able to get you guys a kick **** price, asked about retailing the brackets and lights to you. As a distributor, I am in a position to give him a killer price... and I'm sure he would be happy to pass it along to the members here. The reason I don't do retail is because I build vehicles that use lots of these lights. I'm not set up for retail and, actually, I had not given any thought about actually distributing these to a retailer, but since I was asked, I will do it.

Some things have to be worked out... I have to assemble a bracket/parts kit that would contain the mounting bracket, two longer 6mm bolts and a shorter stud for mounting the lights. If I make this, I want it to be complete with everything you need to make them work and work properly. These lights are of such a fine quality and so complete, to give a shoddy bracket and parts kit would be an injustice to the lights and a poor reflection on me.

Rest assured that when all is said and done, the members here will be able to get these lights at a better price than anywhere else (The msrp on these are nearly $500 - give or take... I don't have my sheet handy. You can find them through bulk internet retailers like the HID Store for about $400 or so... I think we can do much better, though. I can't even begin to give a quote on the brackets... they have to be milled from T6061 aluminum by a production machine shop. For this, I have to rely on one of my local buddies who has always ben more than fair. I think, however, that everyone here will be quite pleased - especially after they put these bad SOB's on and try them out. They are completely mind blowing!

Oh.. and that $20.00 - that was a guess for the clear plastic gasketed covers (not to be mistaken for the covers that come with the lights). I don't know if that is my price, MSRP or even the right price at all.

Give it a few days for us to work out the details. I intend to post more photos on the parts and such tomorrow.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool...Doug? I have these same cheezy Land Rover 55w off road lights and am very dissapointed. What are you using? they sorta look like Light Forces, but the photo is not clear.

I'd be interesed in the mounting plate as well.

Attachments

• 111357932-M.jpg
    111357932-M.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 194

Dugn8r

Reaction score
Very cool...Doug? I have these same cheezy Land Rover 55w off road lights and am very dissapointed. What are you using? they sorta look like Light Forces, but the photo is not clear.

I'd be interesed in the mounting plate as well.

They are VIsion X - a small, yet innovative company based in California. They have a lot of great things in the works.

Well, I'm off to the machine shop... Keep you all posted!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo