Upgrading from stock hk subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The subwoofer in my truck is really lacking IMO. I have the stock 240 watt HK system in my 2011 rig. When i do turn it up it just sounds muddy and the tailgate rattles like crazy. I'm not looking to turn the truck into a ghetto blaster, but should i go with one 12inch sub or two 10 inch subs? Ill have the audio shop fabricate a enclosed ported box for whichever sub i choose. Who here could chime in?

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a lot more to it then just deciding between a 12 or 2 10s. Driver selection and enclosure design are much more important. What type of music you listen to may help in deciding driver selection and enclosure. Also where do you want to put it and how much space are you willing to give up. How much space you want to give up may help in deciding drivers also since that will dictate enclosure volume limits. You can then limit driver selection based on the enclosure volume limits.

I'd figure out my max enclosure volume and music listening type and see what the shop recommends. Or you can use this info and check out some car stereo forums to get some ideas.

Last edited:

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have played with this a bit.
In the stock location you can fit a slim 10" sub.
With a bit of sound damping material, and a compact amplifier, you will be very happy.

I am working on the pictures but I did a MB Quart DS1-254, and a NVX MVPA1.

While not a audiophile quality sub-woofer, with a bit of tuning it sounds 1000% better than stock.
The rattle of the LP is almost non-existent even at high volumes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4