Used RR or Disco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

ml4004

I have an '03 Disco and want to do some more aggressive off road, so in keeping my wife happy, I'm looking to buy a used truck and customize it the way I want and keep the 03 for her everyday use.

Any advantages/disatvantages to a RR vs. Discovery? Are the off road performances the same? I plan to lift 2" w/OME, ARB or TJM front winch bumper, roof rack, snorkel, etc.

Price range up to 8K for vehicle only.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This Disco will probably be cheaper to mod (don't have to worry with air suspension).

But other than that, basically the same... of course you can get a newer Disco for the money.

RR would look better.

M

ml4004

Do all older model RR classics have the air suspension? I would change that out to manual springs anyway.

I'm thinking we (wife and 2 small kids) would fit better in a RR, but I really like the discovery.

I guess I'm looking to see if the suspension, articulation, and overall capability is relatively the same, then go from there.

S

SeaRover

it doesn't matter if the rig has an air suspension or coil suspension ... you're going to be replacing the springs, air or coil, with longer / heavier duty springs anyway. the front shocks are slightly different on an EAS rangie but not enough to matter. in some ways it's better with the EAS rangies because the shocks are outside of the spring, making it a little easier to fit long-travel units with pin-to-eye converters to take advantage of a 3-link.

EAS was fitted on 93-95 RRC's.

if you want a trail beater i would not pay more than $2k. if you want something that looks nice at the parking lot at work and are going to wheel less than 1x / mo then go for the disco.

S

SeaRover

ml4004 said:
I guess I'm looking to see if the suspension, articulation, and overall capability is relatively the same, then go from there.

they are identical. same suspension links, same spec shocks, same chassis. the only difference really is the body configuration.

i like the RRC because there's less sheetmetal and glass to mess up on tight, tree lined trails. the other difference is that there's more weight on the rear of discos; i think it's a penalty during climbing on the trail but it's all kind of moot after a few mods.

M

ml4004

Great thoughts, I appreciate the responses.

The new truck would probably be a hybrid daily driver for me plus a cool off road machine. I'll have a paid off Toyota camry if i really need to crunch on gas.
I found some good trucks in the 5-8K range. All things being equal performance wise, I guess I'd opt for the RR for the extra room. The discovery gets cramped in the driver seat at times.

I would plan on a trip a month, camping, wheeling, etc. but with two little ones the time gets limited.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ml4004 said:
Great thoughts, I appreciate the responses.

The new truck would probably be a hybrid daily driver for me plus a cool off road machine. I'll have a paid off Toyota camry if i really need to crunch on gas.
I found some good trucks in the 5-8K range. All things being equal performance wise, I guess I'd opt for the RR for the extra room. The discovery gets cramped in the driver seat at times.

I would plan on a trip a month, camping, wheeling, etc. but with two little ones the time gets limited.
Geez, how tall are you? I'm 6'2" and fit just fine in a D1. If space up front is a problem, there are modifications you can do to the stock seats to permit more room.

I say go for the Disco -- there's something cool about those alpine windows. :bandit:

F

fbrems

Disco or RR

I drive my third Disco model 1998 and my wife a RR 2001 Anniversary model. Well, I am extremely disappointed with my Disco, which keeps breaking down all the time but the RR is one of the best trucks I ever drove. The RR has a wide body, power full engine, and is a class above the Disco. It is the best luxury SUV ever made with serious capabilities off road. My shocks are still original and so far no cost except normal maintenance.
If you have the option, go for the RR it is not comparable with exception to the fuel consumption which is close to each other.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM