Using ford fuel injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier, I picked up a set of ford fuel injectors to clean, then replace my lucas with 130k or so.

This was researched and done with someone with moderate skill level in mind.

To make our (DI) 175 hp, I calc'd it at 15.7#/hr. fuel delivery @ 80% duty cycle (all standard)
These are pulse-width hi-impedence (14-16 ohm) injectors we use, so the ECU will compensate for the 19# injectors which I'm using.

So- I boiled it down to ford (bosch, denso) because they seemed to be the popular trouble-free ones and last a very long time.

The first are denso for a '95 mustang mod# F1ZE-C2A a single pintle design which is similiar to our lucas - pretty much a direct replacement, except I bought (8) of these for $25 as is - it turned out two had open coils so were worthless. It's commonly stated that the single pintle won't plug as quick as the four-hole.

The next are for a later 4.6 - 5.4 litre ford - mod# FOTE-D5B a four hole disc design (looks identical from 3' away) also 19#/hr -- these may give you better idle & I don't like the sooty plugs (I don't beat my motor) & rich startup stink (I've got side exhaust)

So I put in the fote-d5b's four hole - $40/8 - ebay + $25 rebuild kit (o-rings,filters,spacers). It started immediately (it always did), and SEEMS to idle nicer (was never bad) but, it does not stink & I suspect my plugs, o2's, cats will be cleaner

Took me three hrs. (5 coffees, visit my wife so she could marvel @ how manly I am)
Then 1hr to pull an injector that I had nicked the top o-ring causing gas from fuel rail to spray all over. (no, I only turned key to on & checked for leaks)

The bosch injector (for ford) is mod# 0280-150-556 & is four hole like the D5B's that I installed - good injector also.

These 3 injectors will work seamlessly with our MAF & are good to something like 300hp.
Any other lbs./hr may require MAF modifications.

there you have it, if I missed anything, yell at me.

luck,greg

Last edited:

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an update.

I really notice that it starts cleaner, with no exhaust smell.

It really feels crisper in all-around driving.

The other day, weds, I checked for fuel rail pressure after sitting for (4) hrs. and got squirted. Used to be flat after 20mins.

I'm in the process of checking gas mileage (used to be 15-16mpg daily)

luck,greg

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update, I was concerned that my 2nd tankful dropped to 12mpg or so, but I waited since the ECU might be adjusting. (I have to admit that I drove a little more aggressive, tho")

I'm ready for my 3rd tank now, I've driven more miles than b/4 on this tank (160 for a half tank around town (1) 50 mi trip), so my mileage should have increased.

Truck runs great - feels fresh.

luck,greg

Last edited:

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Greg409;

The Ford/Bosch are recommended by Mark Adams of Tornado systems UK; I am thinking of going that route too.

Wolf

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Greg409;

The Ford/Bosch are recommended by Mark Adams of Tornado systems UK; I am thinking of going that route too.

Wolf

Even tho' my truck seemed to run good, I just didn't like the rich smell on startup.

I also had no fuel pressure in rail after sitting for a few minutes

everything pointed to dirty/leaking inj.

The lucas that I pulled are great injectors, but I thought i'd rebuild & try something new.

I did check my around town mpg with (1) 50mi trip.(214mi & 14gal = 15mpg)
a def improvement as I wasn't trying to squeeze mileage.

I previously had bypassed my IAC, so I sometimes idle down to 400rpm, it still runs smooth.

I like 'em - again. $40/8 injectors & $25 rebuild kit - if you do them yourself.
If you buy used, make sure they are all from the same car as the factory matches them allegedly.

luck,grreg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo